MicheleC64's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

LG points not updating

Added lots of pictures in streetview, all accepted, but they don't get reflected in my points. When I add places in maps my points increase.

13 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: LG points not updating

Hello @MicheleC64,

Thank you for checking in.  I took a look at your SV photo contributions and I am noticing that you have uploaded all or nearly all of your SV photos to locations that are not defined in Google Maps as "Points of Interest."  When thinking of a POI, you might think of the Eiffel Tower or the Statue of Liberty or even a park for example.  It appears you have contributed your photos to the name of the City you were in.  As those are obviously places of interest, the City itself is not filed in the same category as a POI and that is why you have not received the requisite points for those photo contributions.

I suggest uploading a photo to a POI - POIs include parks, schools, government buildings, restaurants and more.  When you try that, I believe you will see the points update.

I am not available to respond on the weekend

View solution in original post

Level 10

Hi @MicheleC64

I Understand your issue that your LG Points are not updating.

i suggest you Missing photos and points that post, please visit it.

it will help you.

Thank You.

Happy Mapping & Keep Contributing 🙂

Add, Edit, Explore More ! || Google Maps Contributions || Gujju Local Guides on G+
Level 6

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am able to perform a search, I read every single discussion about this topic and it boils down to this : we are working on it, please be patient, wait for a couple of days, and so on.

My points didn't change for weeks now, that's why I opened another topic.

Level 6

Just to clarify, 2500 and something was more than a month ago. And with my pictures count, do the mathScreenshot_20170913-164316.png

Solution

Hello @MicheleC64,

Thank you for checking in.  I took a look at your SV photo contributions and I am noticing that you have uploaded all or nearly all of your SV photos to locations that are not defined in Google Maps as "Points of Interest."  When thinking of a POI, you might think of the Eiffel Tower or the Statue of Liberty or even a park for example.  It appears you have contributed your photos to the name of the City you were in.  As those are obviously places of interest, the City itself is not filed in the same category as a POI and that is why you have not received the requisite points for those photo contributions.

I suggest uploading a photo to a POI - POIs include parks, schools, government buildings, restaurants and more.  When you try that, I believe you will see the points update.

Level 6

Seriously? You get points for already visible places and zilch for submitting pictures no one has taken before?? Really? What kind of motivation is that?

Hello @MicheleC64,

You can get points for submitting photos to new places but the key is to make sure the photos are tied to that specific POI. Street View certainly allows you to take photos everywhere but they should be tied to a place.  

For example:  I could take a Street View photo of the 'Empire State Building' and add that photo to 'New York City' since the building is in NYC. But the photo makes more sense if I were to submit it to the POI on Google Maps for the Empire State Building. Then per the Local Guides points system, I would get the points.

Level 6

Hmmmm, understood. But how should I assign my pictures to a specific place when they are mostly showing footpaths?

Hello again @MicheleC64,

Based on your contributions, It appears you are already assigning your photos to the exact locations on the walking path via the SV app. The path isn't considered a POI but these photos do appear in Google Maps exactly at that location you took them. The app asks you to attribute the photo to a specific place/location and as the path isn't a POI, it appears you chose the name of the region/city you were in. 

As noted before, the city name isn't a POI and that is why you didn't get points for those photos.  I hope this brought some clarity to your issue!

Level 6

Thanks for the explanation. That way Google clearly tells me "just give us your work, we don't care if you get anything in return" I thought Maps (and especially StreetView) is about streets, paths and ways to get from A to B and not only a collection of POI's.

That should really be part of the FAQ's , it's mentioned nowhere.