Barry1's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

LEVEL 11 Guide?

Yes or no should Google start more levels higher then 10? I vote yes!!!!!!!

Have a blessed day!!!! 

I love Google and my google Home mini and Google products!!

San Diego, CA, USA
11 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: LEVEL 11 Guide?

Hi @Barry1 at this time I'd actually suggest no, there are not enough people on Level 10. Levels 9 and 10 are actually quite hard to get if you stick within the spirit of the Local Guides rules and should take several years (at least) to attain. While adding more levels would encourage people on Level 10 to keep going, chances are they don't need that encouragement because being a Local Guide is ingrained in what they do. Adding levels might just encourage those who behave badly to do it even more.

Regards Paul

Level 10

Hi @PaulPavlinovich that makes a lot of sense.  I thought I would ask.  Someone asked me and I don't know.

Connect Moderator

It's perfectly ok to ask @Barry1 I imagine as a Level 10 you'd enjoy there being another level. You never know what the Googlers have in store anyway. We (the volunteer moderators) tend to find out only a few minutes before the general population of Local Guides :).

Regards Paul

Level 10

I thought you were paid. But I love google and their changes are always the best especially the 1tb to 2tb upgrade on Google drive for 9 a month 🙂

Level 10

@PaulPavlinovich Good discussion. I'd vote no also, just because they'd probably need to make Level 11 as 200,000 points, and Level 12 as 400,000 points, to be consistent with any kind of gamification leveling tables. And at that point, almost all of the Level 11s and Level 12s would be submitting tons of really low quality photos to get those levels. Google doesn't limit how many photos you take of one place for 5 points each, so a person could go from Level 1 to Level 10 tomorrow by submitting 20,000 photos of one place. 20,000 photos of one place times (*) 5 points = 100,000 points for Level 10.

Even though I'm Level 10 myself, and very eager to have more Google goals to achieve, I think that at this point, Level 11 would do more harm than good to the program.

I think that there are two things needed before Google should even think about Level 11...

*Close the loophole of submitting infinite pictures for one business yielding points with every picture

*Give photos a "quality rating" that's visible to Local Guides, and factors into your LG points (I'm guessing Google really doesn't want to do this, but their quality algorithms are pretty good already, so they already probably have some metric about if users are just spamming their systems with photos)

Photos are really the only submission that people can take advantage of...well, I guess you could paste the same 200 character (sans spaces) review for 4,762 business, and get 100,000 points that way, too. But my impression is that spammy reviews get taken down really quickly.

Level 8

@PaulPavlinovich I buy your idea 

kaliroalex
Connect Moderator

That would be nice @Barry1 but no :).

If the tag under the name says "Connect Moderator" then we are volunteers. If it says "Google Moderator" then those people are paid, although plenty of them put much more than their day time into this platform!

Changes keep things dynamic. I noticed another one of my fond tools is going away soon.... the goo.gl URL shortener. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

I've seen signs of change @JosephDewey - people who have submitted loads of duplicate or near duplicate images lately as a matter of general practice seem to pop up with secondary accounts asking why their first account went away :). While I have little to no evidence I have a gut feel that the duplicates are showing up less and less.

The best advice I can give people about growth is that being organic about it (generally slow with little spurts when you visit new places) is the best way to go. Going up like a rocket might be fun but ultimately it attracts attention and leaves you feeling a bit empty if you do achieve the highest level. If you're organic then you won't care that you hit the top points, you'll just keep doing it because for you (and I) it's not about points.

I agree with your summation of the issue with greater levels.

Level 10

@PaulPavlinovich wrote:

Hi @Barry1 at this time I'd actually suggest no, there are not enough people on Level 10. Levels 9 and 10 are actually quite hard to get if you stick within the spirit of the Local Guides rules and should take several years (at least) to attain. While adding more levels would encourage people on Level 10 to keep going, chances are they don't need that encouragement because being a Local Guide is ingrained in what they do. Adding levels might just encourage those who behave badly to do it even more.

Regards Paul

Totally agree with you @PaulPavlinovich

I'm just few thousands of points from LVL10, and it took me around 1 year to go from LVL8 to LVL9, lost some points, recovered other points, visited a lot of places... it's an fun and great journey.

I have to admit that LG program helped me develop my discovery and adventure search habits 🙂