YashwanthN09's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Kudos badge for photos uploaded in google maps by local guides

Hi,

There are lots of great photos uploaded by Google Local Guides. But still, there is some room for PERFECT photos for many of the places.

I am sure this can be filled up if a new badge like 'KUDOs' is introduced to Local Guides program, which displays the number of kudos for photos, a particular local guide got.

( It should be displayed in the points details).

Here, the fellow local guides ( or it can be extended to anyone who uses Google Maps if there is no flaw)  can give a kudo to a photo if they like the photo. With this, we can improve the quality of photos uploaded to maps and also increase the competition constructively.

If there is such facility(kudo) for the photo, then the local guides will automatically take care that their photo is good, unlike the normal photos like...

photos of shops when closed, photos of malls from outside(which actually are having good interiors)...and these normal photos are of no use and in fact, they also don't give a clear picture of that place but just increase the number of photos for a place (at present there are lot of photos like this for most of the places, which makes difficult for the user to decide and have an opinion on that place) ... and I personally experienced this many times on deciding about a place as I have to look into more number of photos for clear idea of that place(which is time taking also).

But with this rating(kudo) feature, we can actually make the place more clear by showing the picture with more kudos in the first place and so on ...

And yes if it will be cumbersome or confusing, this chance/provision of giving kudos can be restricted to local guides only ... and this can be made completely hidden to the regular users...!!!

If still there is a flaw, we can discuss further and modify this idea to make it flawless... 🙂

Thanks

YashwanthN 🙂

YashwanthN09 🙂
21 comments
Level 10

Re: Kudos badge for photos uploaded in google maps by local guides

Hi @YashwanthN09 ,

@YashwanthN wrote:

Hi,

There are lots of great photos uploaded by Google Local Guides. But still, there is some room for PERFECT photos for many of the places.

I am sure this can be filled up if a new badge like 'KUDOs' is introduced to Local Guides program, which displays the number of kudos for photos, a particular local guide got.

( It should be displayed in the points details).

Here, the fellow local guides( or it can be extended to anyone who uses Google Maps if there is no flaw)  can give a kudo to a photo if they like the photo. With this, we can improve the quality of photos uploaded to maps and also increase the competition constructively.

This is a good idea yet complicated and making maps much more complex and confusing ,for reviews the likes are ok but there are billions of photographs out there so adding a kudo option and people taking time actually to like them is kind of out of reality , This is just my point of view, still stands out to be a good idea , like your approach to make maps a better place .

After all the time i spent as a local guide , i realised one thing , we as a local guides should make maps better for a user and not better for local guides .

Thanks and regards 

Naren 

Level 7

Sorry, my message and writing style might have misled you from actual intention ... I ultimately wanted to improve the maps and make it better for the end user, by creating a new feature/badge for the local guide. 

If there is such facility(kudo) for the photo, then the local guide will automatically take care that their photo will be good, unlike the normal photos like...

photos of shops when closed, photos of malls from outside(which actually are having good interiors)...

And these photos are of no use and in fact, they also don't give a clear picture of that place but just increase the number of photos for a place (at present there are lot of photos like this for most of the places, which makes difficult for the user to decide and have an opinion on that place) ... and I personally experienced this many times on deciding about a place as I have to look into more number of photos for clear idea of that place(which is time taking also).

But with the rating, we can actually make the place more clear by showing the picture with more kudos in the first place and so on ...

And yes if it will be cumbersome or confusing, this chance/provision of giving kudos can be restricted to local guides only ... and this can be made completely hidden to the regular users...!!!

If still there is a flaw, we can discuss further and modify this idea to make it flawless... 🙂

Thanks

YashwanthN 🙂

YashwanthN09 🙂
Level 10

I completely understand your point of view . @YashwanthN09 and appreciate as well .

One thing i wanted to add is a closed shop picture is not a bad thing ,particularly in india . i understand it does not show the interiors but atleast shows the name sign and mobile number on it . still most of them would be odd to be on maps , here in India , mapping in local areas is a very difficult task since the shop opens there is a huge flow of people and its difficult to capture a perfect image of it , and more people come to question you for capturing it and we have to explain to each and every person about its advantage .

I back your idea but i feel people do not take time to kudo the pictures , thats what my point is .

People are hardly reporting a bad picture so imagine how this idea works . 

at the end of the day its my point of view .

Level 7

Thanks, @NarenChandra for supporting my idea. 

Your point is also right, that people are hardly reporting a bad picture. 

Maybe because even after reporting, the photos may still appear in maps (this happened to me sometimes even though they are actually violating the terms). 

(But still, I didn't stop reporting :p)

So, I thought of this thing.

Actually, we can observe this kind of thing in StackExchange and StackOverflow websites, where the answers, which are reported as most helpful, were shown first.

YashwanthN09 🙂
Level 9

@YashwanthN09you have just thought a brilliant idea for Google Map. In no time your idea should execute for better map photo experience. People will react and get better result if your idea come online.

Best of luck and happy mapping.

Level 7

Thanks a lot for supporting me @RonneBD.Yes, it would really make maps better.

YashwanthN09 🙂
Level 7

Thank you for the support and for the inputs @NarenChandra

YashwanthN09 🙂
Level 7

I request you to have a look on this and share your views on this @Dhipin K Das @khammami @NareshDarji @LucioV

YashwanthN09 🙂
Level 7

I request you to have a look on this and share your views on this  @khammami @NareshDarji @LucioV

YashwanthN09 🙂