YK1001's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Is TAXI stand mappable?

I came across this POI that triggered this question.

的士站
香港灣仔

https://goo.gl/maps/cTJKSMzFgFv

The green sign is a government establishmentThe green sign is a government establishment

香港灣仔的士站
15 comments
Level 9

Re: Is TAXI stand mappable?

Hello @YK1001

You got a good point. I saw many countries their is a TAXI Stand marking on the road near market and busy areas. So, my opinion google may add a new category for mapping TAXI Stand.

Level 9
Level 9

@YK1001 Since it probably has a descriptive name rather than a proper name it would be unlikely, however there are certain exceptions eg ATMs. The best way to find out is to move this thread to Mapping Your World where Flash will have more info

Level 8

Oh!  I posted to a wrong board?!

Level 10

Hi @YK1001 in Italy Taxi are part of the public transport system, so maybe this POI will fall into transit system?

Level 10

Here taxi stands are usually abused either when created or during an edit. Certain taxi companies (or freelancers) add their own phone numbers to them. These phone numbers keep changing (due to extensive spamming) all the time. 

Maybe best would be to remove the phone number field for them (just like there are no opening hours for certain POI's like churches). 

Level 8

Hi @LucioV,

TAXI is usually operated by private entities in HK.  But the TAXI Stand location is specified by the Government.

Normally, the TAXI Stand is becoming a temporary parking space for TAXI.  Unless for very popular and busy road, there will always be people waiting for TAXI at the Stand.

Now, some existing POI of TAXI Stand has category of TAXI Stand, some has category of Transit Facilities.  But TAXI Stand is not available for me when trying to edit an existing POI or trying to add a new one.

@CsabaI agree certain Category should remove some fields, like Private Residency.

Connect Moderator

Hello all,

The direction from Google has always been that taxi stands are not mappable, thus why there is no such category.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Thank you very much, @Flash!

So one step further, should those existing POIs that should having Categories disappeared from adding new, be removed from Maps?

Connect Moderator

Please explain more what you are asking, and perhaps link to a couple of examples.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages