RussellR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Insurance Help by Google Maps?

United-front.jpg

Awesome! I have a Health Insurance Provider... now what?

So let me begin this topic with a couple of questions. 

Have you ever had to figure out who accepts your insurance (health, prescription, dental, vision)? And if your answer is yes, was it easy to find this information?

So how great would it be if you could go to Google Maps, enter your Health Care Provider and/or Insurance Identification Number, and with a press of a button all doctors, hospitals, dentists, and pharmacies that are in-network close to you are provided?

That would be amazing, right?

Look, I realize that this is a HUGE solution to achieve.

I mean you're talking about various regions, different providers, doctors/hospitals changing the kinds of coverage they accept (which changes daily), what kinds of procedures are covered by those that take your insurance, what an individual doctor will accept vs what the hospital/clinic they operate from will accept... the list just goes on and on.

But Google is a company founded on solving big data problems that's filled to the brim with brilliant people so if anyone could come up with a solution; I would bet that they could.

So what do you think? Is this a great idea 👍 or the rambling of a person just frustrated with the current system 😵?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

FYI, I also submitted this idea through the Google Maps app. If you feel like this idea is important to you too I encourage you to do the same.

5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Insurance Help by Google Maps?

Hi @RussellR for this sort of thing its best to send your idea via the feedback mechanism within the Maps App as this board is more about Connect and Local Guides.

You (or your insurer) could make a MyMaps any time and share it with their customers to enable this to happen. They may even have a list in a format that you can import into MyMaps. I would talk to the insurer about it.

Regards Paul

Level 9

@PaulPavlinovich I thought one of the many parts of Google Local Guides Connect community was kicking around various ideas that we would like to see included on the maps? I mean, there is a "Feedback and Feature Request" category here.

Also, it doesn't seem to be entirely in the insurers interest to provide good information (or at least their search features/app/website/customer service don't seem to suggest that).

Over the years, I've had to deal with several large insurance companies and I can't recall one time that it's been a positive experience (more confusing really). And I know I'm not the only one.

I'm sure there are people out there that have a primary doctor who takes most (if not all) of their insurance coverage and everything is great. But the real problem is when they need to know that information while they are away on holiday or vacation (especially in a emergency). And this is where I think a feature like this would be enormously helpful.

I'd like to think that Google Maps and Google My Business could possibly work together to come up with a solution, but at the same time I realize it's a monumental problem to solve.

Anyhow, thank you @PaulPavlinovich for the reply. 😊

Connect Moderator

Hi @RussellR yes of course you're welcome to contribute ideas and discuss them, I agree completely that is one of the roles of Connect, I was just reinforcing that the best way to get feedback to the Maps team is to let them know via the App, if I quote Corrie's post from the headline of this board "We welcome feedback and feature requests for Google Maps here, but please make sure you ALSO submit that feedback directly in Google Maps."

Medical insurance is always challenging, and the issue is going to be different from country to country and region to region. The insurers, doctors, etc. would have to collaborate to promote your idea into Maps anyway as the Maps team wouldn't know what to put up without their input. Your idea isn't a bad one, I'm just not sure there is an easy solution. Google do tend to like taking on difficult projects though, so you never know what might come of your idea.

Regards Paul

Level 9

@PaulPavlinovich Thank you for the reply Paul.

I think to avoid any confusion in the future I'll add a disclosure at top of my post saying that I've already submitted the idea through the proper channels. It seems that the first reply I get for these types of posts are "You should submit these through the app". Live and learn.

I'm sure I'll be adding more than just Google Map suggestions in the future, but I'm so bottled up with ideas that I've had through the years that for now I'm using this platform as an outlet to get them outside my brain. 😄

-Russell

Connect Moderator

Bring on the ideas @RussellR 🙂