AndrewR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Re: Insulting that Google tells its local guides to contribute for free or quit

@JacekNK I have read the TOCs thoroughly have you lately? Maps are free, so is YouTube. However the people who contribute on YouTube get paid so why not local guides. So if your not a Google employee then your not someone I'm trying to reach out to. But I appreciate your reply none the less.

Level 10

@AndrewR

You agreed that Maps are for free.  You can buy maps/navi and pay for every update or you can use Google Maps "for free".

But servers, developers, bandwidth are not for free. You can "buy" Google Maps for sharing some informations (which you are the owner) as Local Guide and gain some perks from time to time or you can buy maps for money.

What's your choice?

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL
Level 6

@JacekNK did you not read my last reply where I said yes it is free to use but Google also pays contracting companies to do the exact same work that Local Guides do. So @JacekNK i ask you what do you choose, do the same work others do and work for free or do the same work others are doing and at least gain some form of equal benefits? As mentioned before, there are YouTubers that are paid for contributing their very own videos and paid by Google. YouTube is also free to use. Local guides contribute on google maps and Google maps is also free to use yet contributors do not get paid. So what gives? You dont know why right? So I'm writing here to get a response from someone who knows what are these benefits which are mentioned in the TOCs of Local Guides. There is no clarification on them. You work for free for a living ok that's great, don't know how you pay your bills and survive but I think working people like me and you should be paid for what we do no matter what platform your using unless it is clearly outlined that you will be working as a volunteer and will not be receiving any benefits. But that's not stated by Google and therefore isn't the case.

Level 10

@AndrewR

YouTubers are paid for advertising incomes. There are rarely ads on GMaps. It's not the same. 

Local Guides are NOT Google employees. It's your choice to participate in the program or not.

You don't have a boss, KPI, job to do. It's your choice - to help others or not.

If you want to be paid by Google - try this: https://careers.google.com/

Benefits for LG - it was Google Drive space for some time, many discounts,

3 months of free Google Play Music. Quite nice perks for a few reviews or photos.

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL
Connect Moderator

you should be paid for what we do no matter what platform your using unless it is clearly outlined that you will be working as a volunteer and will not be receiving any benefits. But that's not stated by Google and therefore isn't the case.

That is not the way it works.

• There was never a job advertised.
  • You never interviewed for a job.
  • You never accepted a job offer.
  • You are not being told exactly what tasks you must accomplish.

Google does not have to spell out that this is not a paid position because there has never been anything to make a reasonable person believe that it is a paid position.

Regarding the TOS, it does not state that you will receive perks.  Instead it states that "Perks and early access to features are offered at the discretion of Google and its affiliates/partners" and that "Some participants may be ineligible for some or all perks".  This means that perks may occur but are not guaranteed and will vary, so no one can give you a definitive list that is guaranteed nor that is unchanging.

What that TOSs do spell out is that "When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones.", and then do not promise anything in return.  If there was a guaranteed exchange to occur it would be outlined at that point.

If you do not wish to contribute, that is your choice and is understandable.  The people in this program are contributing of their own free will to make a better map for all, which is also understandable.  Their choice does not need to match your choice, and we ask that you respect each person's decision.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 6

@Flash thanks for your reply. Do you work for Google?

Connect Moderator

No, I do not, I too am a volunteer.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 6

@Flash I encourage you to read the TOCs again alsi as they've changed since you last read them. Here is a little blurb which is right in my local guides account:

Program requirements

Keep contributing to receive all program perks. For some perks, we give priority to Local Guides who consistently contribute each month.

Connect Moderator

I have quoted the TOS to you, which sets out what you agree to when you use the service and would be from where you should set your expectations.

My apologies, I thought you were just misspelling TOS as TOC is not a normal term.  Looking up the quote you provided, that is from the Help Centre.

Level 6

@Flash again I thank you very much for replying to my post but as originally indicated in my first post, I'm waiting to hear from someone at google. And were pretty off topic from my original post which was how I found it insulting to slap an exit sign and door right in the middle of the page if local guides don't want to give away their precious time, info, images, help, edits, etc. Etc. So I'm holding out for a response from Google. Thanks.