AndrewR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Insulting that Google tells its local guides to contribute for free or quit

Hi Andrew,

To set your expectations, Google normally only replies in threads when necessary.  Connect is a place for users to talk with each other, not a direct link to Google support.  If the questions have been answered then there is a good chance you will not see a post from them.  And as I relook at your first post this has never gotten off topic; the concepts being discussed are ones you put in your first post.  The only thing outstanding is you asking why there is an option to exit the program in a certain place.  You seem to take issue with it's positioning on a page, though you don't provide the page.  The Googlers working in this forum do not participate in the design of Maps itself, I will move your post to the Feedback section so that your dissatisfaction can be recorded, but the best way to supply feedback regarding Maps is to use the Your Opinions option within the Feedback portion of Maps.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

@AndrewR this is literally the same as volunteering for a fun run or other event. You are contributing your time and energy for free and in return to show your appreciation you get rewards in return. I volunteer for an event in my town every year which total about three days solid work and all I get in return is a t-shirt and the knowledge that I have helped my local community. I don't understand why you think that we "work" for Google or why we might be employees. You unequivocally are a volunteer the same as the rest of us.

As for your original point, where is this "exit sign" I've browsed through the App top to bottom and can't find what you are talking about. Perhaps Google could make it harder to exit one of their programs but this would undoubtedly cause more threads to be created asking how people can quit.

Level 6

@Mr_Ian you're comparing local guides to a charity fund run?... not even close. As for the exit door I can't see it anymore either maybe they took it down.

Level 8

No @AndrewR. I volunteer for a festival that patrons pay to get into, not a charity fun run. I don't complain because I'm not employed and being paid for my time... By your logic I should be getting a cut of money purely because I "worked". As other have said previously in the discussion, we know what we are getting into, nobody is forcing you to upload pictures and write reviews. This is all done in our own time to benefit our community and make Google Maps better.

Level 7

@Andrewr wrote:

@LucioV, I do what I want.

Level 9

Hi @AndrewR,

Good Morning. 

I'm sorry for your bad experience. 

I love traveling and want to explore this world and do not have enough time, memory and space to save my photos and memories. I'm using my photos to upload for map and memories as a review. 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

I remember reading that comment and was astonished .. WHAT A SHAME