PavanKR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Incorrect information on the Maps.

Google maps has become a tool for cons to scam people.
Recently I got to know this Scam portraying it self as a authentic Motorola service center,
This is not a authorized motorola service center and yet google somehow displays it as such.
There should be a moderator to look after these kind of scam, normal users won't help
because they might not be knowing of the authenticity of the information.
I am an employee of the moto and these kind of scam are harming our reputation and 
our customers.
I had suggested a edit but it was not applied,
The profile of the place even uses authentic motorola website URL as their's.
I think maps with just the local peoples reviewing it is prone to be like this,
This is causing more harm to the public than helping them.

This can be cross verified from the official listings of the "Motorola service centers" 
http://motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/mcp/service-center-locator

5 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Incorrect information on the Maps.

Hi @PavanKR, and thanks for your reporting.

Have you tried to suggest a change on Google Maps? It's the easiest and fastest route.

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 1

I did but, it's not getting applied.

And I think, any place shouldn't be listed like this without any verification,

Atleast for some places which associates itself with a Well known Organization.

Level 9

@PavanKR wrote:

Google maps has become a tool for cons to scam people.
Recently I got to know this Scam portraying it self as a authentic Motorola service center,
This is not a authorized motorola service center and yet google somehow displays it as such.
There should be a moderator to look after these kind of scam, normal users won't help
because they might not be knowing of the authenticity of the information.
I am an employee of the moto and these kind of scam are harming our reputation and 
our customers.
I had suggested a edit but it was not applied,
The profile of the place even uses authentic motorola website URL as their's.
I think maps with just the local peoples reviewing it is prone to be like this,
This is causing more harm to the public than helping them.
This can be cross verified from the official listings of the "Motorola service centers" 
http://motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/mcp/service-center-locator

A good example why Local Gude needs a free text field to argument why the proposed change should be implemented. When some proposal is "not implemented" than too a free text field response should be there. The LG has local information not accesible otherwise for the moderator who decides based on principles and assumptions.

Level 8

@PavanKR,

Thank you for sharing and for bringing this up. Reading your post and looking at the Maps listing, I question your accusations/ conclusions.

1) Nowhere, that I can see, does Google claim it is an authorized repair shop that is affiliated with the Moto company.

2) I cannot verify the name of the shop since the listing has no photos other than stock photos related to Moto, neither street-view. But if the name of the window of the shop is indeed what it Motorola Service Centre, then Maps is a real-life reflection of the existence of this shop. If this is illegal in your country and the name is protected by a trade-mark than the shop would not be eligible by the TOS of Maps & GMB.

Your example is a claimed business, so if I were you, I would discuss this matter further with the GMB customer service. If the shop owner, for example, is not licensed to use the official Moto photos, then Google has procedures to report this.

In your view, I understand it appears that the shop is tricking people. The question is, is it legal what they do and is the GMB listing abiding by the Google rules & guidelines? The fact that most of their reviews are written by people that have made less than 5 reviews, I as a potential customer would be suspicious for that reason. I also find it strange that there are no photos of customers. Even when there are reviews of Local Guides.

Best wishes,

Jeroen

Level 1

Hi @JeroenM,

I didn't mean that google claimed it as a authorized service center,
I meant that it is supporting the claim, without any proofs.
As you mentioned google should atleast look for a store front picture before displaying/ suggesting these

shops for the customers.

FYI I came across this when google suggested this place through google voice assistant (I asked for "authorized motorola service center").
You can't just blame the reviewers or the customers, There should be atleast minimum amount of the verification when giving such suggestions to the Users.

Best regards,
Pavan