JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Inconsistency with car dealer categories

For almost all car brands that are popular in Europe, a separate category is available for the dealers (e.g. Ford-dealer, Volkswagen-dealer, Hyundai-dealer, etc), except for Peugeot and Citroën. If there's a list of 'categories to add' somewhere at Google (and I can't imagine such a list is not existing), those two would be additions that make sense (presuming increased consistency is a goal). If anyone knows a way to get these on the list, please pass on this info.

Have you come across other missing brands? Feel free to add them here.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
6 comments
Level 10

Re: Inconsistency with car dealer categories

Hi,

Missing car manufacturers (with origin) having known export markets include:

Alfa Romeo Dealer (Italy)

Mahindra Dealer (India)

Great Wall Dealer (China)

SsangYong Dealer (Korea)

Mini Dealer (UK)

Tesla Dealer (US)

Also, many of the luxury and niche market manufacturers are missing.

Connect Moderator

Bonus question: what to do if the business is dealer of 2 brands (that each have their own category)? Keep it listed as the more general 'Garage'? Pick the brand that occupies to most physical space at the location? And what if the 2 brands have an equal amount of space? Add a 2nd point of interest for the other brand?

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

@JanVanHaver when a dealership has more than two brands (for example in the United States it is common for Ford and Lincoln to be sold from the same dealer, or Dodge and Jeep). the business owner can access additional category fields via the Google My Business dashboard, that we do not currently see (but can be found via search) in the current Google Maps interface.

This was something we could edit in the Map Maker platform prior to its closure in March 2017. While some capabilities have been mentioned being ported over in the past, Google has not announced if or when that might happen.

If making edits via maps, it is recommended to use either the generic "New Car Dealership" or their dominant brand for the category.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Connect Moderator

@MWJones Thanks for the feedback.

As for the changes that business owners need to make: it's really a pity that a lot of business owners are not claiming their business - I guess mainly due to lack of awareness (I blogged about this a while ago https://janvanhaver.com/2017/10/22/why-you-need-to-claim-your-company-on-google-maps/)

Connect Moderator

Just came across another missing one:

Skoda-dealer

Connect Moderator

Hello @DonMac, Mini-dealer is now there, the others you suggested unfortunately not yet. Check

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/New-car-dealer-categories-available/m-p/101...