aka_Rὁn's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Inclusion of some form of optional spell-checking facilities for edits

I have noticed in this forum that a number of seasoned contributors are finding that their attempts to correct their own typos or spelling mistakes are receiving the unhelpful "NOT APPLIED" responses.

This makes no sense to me since such corrections of spelling could easily be verifiable and Google Inc. most certainly has the technology to do this.

I don't know if others have already made a similar suggestion for such an improvement or if it is something that Google Maps would take seriously.

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
UK
6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Inclusion of some form of optional spell-checking facilities for edits

Irony happens to be one of my favorite tools as well @aka_Rὁn.

And in all these ongoing discussions here, we're definitely on the same side 😉

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Hello @aka_Rὁn, I'm not sure a spell checker would be helpful in a lot of cases, as the contributions are often company names or street names, and those typically are not included in spell checker lists.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 7

In most of the mentions I have seen on this issue the corrections are nothing to do with placenames but simple common words which have been accidentally mistyped by their contributors who are dismayed by the fact that Google Maps immediately responds with an unhelpful and moronic "NOT APPLIED" response when the edit is submitted.

Google Inc. already has the technology to make such corrections that need not involve any complex issues regarding the transcription of placenames and so that excuse should not be used to block future system improvements.

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
Level 7

@JanVanHaver

from your blog at https://janvanhaver.com/

Quote of the day #107

“Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution.”

Albert Einstein

quote-of-the-day-107.jpg

@JanVanHaver wrote:

Hello @aka_Rὁn, I'm not sure a spell checker would be helpful in a lot of cases, as the contributions are often company names or street names, and those typically are not included in spell checker lists.

🙂

Connect Moderator

🤣 I never thought I would ever be slapped in the face with my own blog

In the meantime @aka_Rὁn I have found and read the other thread where your idea mentioned here was coming from, and I do understand your frustrations - I am struggling with similar issues and inconsistencies from time to time, but I don't put too much effort in them as they are not getting solved 'in a reasonable time' anyway.

In the meantime: do carry on reading my blog, you will then notice for sure that I'm not negative by nature at all.

Level 7

Dear @JanVanHaver

I did not mean for you to misread my posting as some kind of "slap in the face with your own blog" ... 

Gentle irony does not seem to work well in digital form.

Most of the responses I have been seeing on this forum seem to justify the status quo and to undermine progressive change and so I try to challenge that tendency whenever it appears to surface.

It is only meant as a wake-up call rather than a criticism since such kneejerk responses tend to not involve alternative constructive suggestions.

Forgive me if I tend to prefer a kinetic to a static discussion environment.

I did not mean for you to assume that I regarded you as "negative" and I will read more of your blog to learn more about how the Google Maps community continues to evolve.

@JanVanHaver wrote:

In the meantime @aka_Rὁn I have found and read the other thread where your idea mentioned here was coming from, and I do understand your frustrations - I am struggling with similar issues and inconsistencies from time to time, but I don't put too much effort in them as they are not getting solved 'in a reasonable time' anyway.

In the meantime: do carry on reading my blog, you will then notice for sure that I'm not negative by nature at all.

@JanVanHaver wrote:

Connect Moderator
Solution

Irony happens to be one of my favorite tools as well @aka_Rὁn.

And in all these ongoing discussions here, we're definitely on the same side 😉