ivanrf's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Ignoring diacritics/accents when searching a Category on Maps for Android

This little bug is very frustrating when searching for a Category on the Maps app for Android. This happens since I started as a Local Guide over a year ago, so I decided to post it here to see if someone fixes this.

For example, I use the Spanish version, if I type 'cafeteria' there are no category results. I must write 'cafetería' in order to get all results.

Steps to reproduce:

- Open Maps for Android

- Select a place

- Go to 'Suggest an edit'

- Go to 'Category'

- Type 'cafeteria'

8 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Ignoring diacritics/accents when searching a Category on Maps for Android

Hola @ivanrf, es muy raro esto que comentas. Yo tengo configurado mi teléfono en inglés y he hecho una búsqueda categórica en Google Maps utilizando "cafeteria en Madrid", sin la tilde, y me ha devuelto resultados sin problema.

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 8

@LuisRG I probably was not clear enough, I'm not referring to common searches.

Steps to reproduce:

- Open Maps for Android

- Select a place

- Go to 'Suggest an edit'

- Go to 'Category'

- Type 'cafeteria'

Ok @ivanrf now I get it.

However, when you search for a category when suggesting an edit, you'll see matching categories appearing as you type. So in this case, when you have typed "cafet", you'll have the "cafetería" category already visible to select.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 8

Yes, I know that, but the search can be improved. Sometimes the word you search is not visible, and if you don't use the accent it is impossible to find it.

I made hundreds of category editions, I can assure you that it is a bit annoying.

Level 8

@LuisRG did you see the previous message? I didn't tag you and maybe you were not notified.

Anyway, if you have the ability to pass the issue to the 'Maps for Android' developers it would be great 👍

Will share that, @ivanrf.

Level 8

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/Feedback/message-id/16501

@ivanrf you was clear enough bro

@LuisRG :

Screenshot_20170629-232901.jpgScreenshot_20170629-232741.jpg

Swiss | Switzerland | Suisse francophone Level 8 : visitez moi Ne passez pas à coté d'un J'AIME et marquer les réponses comme solution. Android|Jean-Luc|Suisse romande|Switzerland french speaking area|Google Maps Local Guide Level 8 https://goo.gl/maps/HuzFUEBbgtt
Level 8

@Lémanique @LuisRG I opened a post on the new Idea Exchange section since this issue is still present on Maps for Android.
Here is the link: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/All-Ideas/Ignoring-diacritics-accents-when-searching-a-Categor...