JeffMuir's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Idea: Combining multiple Google accounts

This is just to share an idea. Over the last year, I have noticed that sometimes additions are going to the wrong Google account for me. This is technically my fault for not noticing which account is currently active. There are three accounts that I switch between based on the role of the accounts.  If you have more than one Google account, this is eventually going to happen to you. 

The result is that there are some stray changes (edits, photos) assigned to accounts that are not Local Guides-enabled. This seems unnecessary. Instead of being paranoid about which account is currently active, it would be easier just to not care.

The idea is simple. Register all user accounts as being possibly used for Local Guides content. Assign a primary account. Limit to a maximum number of accounts to register. Do not let these accounts be registered by anyone else. If the user submits any content from any of these accounts, it is automatically credited to the primary account. 

I know there are plenty of reasons not to do this based on worrying about people cheating. However, it should be possible to enforce that only the user can do this (one person).

Just an idea to share. It would be nice to avoid caring which account is active.

Jeff Muir
Admin - Global Guides
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 comments
Level 9

Re: Idea: Combining multiple Google accounts

Hi @JeffMuir

You want to link several "Secondary accounts" to one "Primary account".
But if each Secondary Account represente a person or a Local Guide,  who your merged Principal Account will represent when you contribute as Principal Account is not a Real Account ?

One cannot merge even 2 Google Email Accounts.

And why to complicate your life when you can use many accounts to different activities ?

The best is to not to scatter oneself and to work with one Local Guide Account as you CAN NOT do it with 2 different accounts.

Thank you for your suggestion (Next time think to post your ideas & suggestions in Feedback & Feature Requests)

🌞Have a nice day🌞

My MapsIWe're the World, We're the Local Guides!
Connect Moderator

Thanks @BoyScout

For the clear reply. In addition, @JeffMuir

To be in the Local Guides Program with more than one account is against the rules. https://www.google.com/local/guides/rules/

As suggested, I'm moving your post to the Feedback-and-Feature-Requests board 

Ermes 

Level 9

@BoyScout wrote:

Hi @JeffMuir

You want to link several "Secondary accounts" to one "Primary account".
But if each Secondary Account represente a person or a Local Guide,  who your merged Principal Account will represent when you contribute as Principal Account is not a Real Account ?

One cannot merge even 2 Google Email Accounts.

And why to complicate your life when you can use many accounts to different activities ?

The best is to not to scatter oneself and to work with one Local Guide Account as you CAN NOT do it with 2 different accounts.

Thank you for your suggestion (Next time think to post your ideas & suggestions in Feedback & Feature Requests)

🌞Have a nice day🌞

Hi @BoyScout,

Yes, I would like the accounts I have to be bound together. I suggested a primary account versus having also having secondary accounts. There are other services which use this model. That is probably where the idea came from.  

I am not sure what you meant when you started to talk about Principal versus Real accounts. The proposed change would not actually merge accounts into one. It would be smart enough the combine the results from the selected user Google accounts.  It does not need to collapse the actual accounts together in any way.

Logically, two Google email accounts can be combined in one email reader app. This can even be done in Gmail app on iOS.

The history of why I have three accounts is pretty simple.

The first account uses a email address which I do not prefer anymore. The second is my personal account. The third is my business account.  I would consider getting rid of the first one if it was easy to transfer everything to the personal account. 

I only have one Local Guide account. I have no intent of starting a second one. 

Thanks for suggesting this idea be moved to the right place. I simply could not remember the location for new ideas and could not find it. Thanks.

Even with the feedback, I still think the idea is valid. It might reflect a need to acknowledge that a user can have more than one Google account. There is nothing wrong with having more than one. To be clear, there should only be one Local Guides account.

Thanks for the explanation

Jeff Muir
Admin - Global Guides
Level 9

@ErmesT,

Yes, I only have one Local Guides account. I have no intent to start another.

Thanks

Jeff Muir
Admin - Global Guides
Connect Moderator

Hi @JeffMuir

Your posts have been already moved by me. If you watch a bit over your initial post, you will see where the post is now. 

I've moved there because is a proposal for changing the rules, that at the moment don't give permission for having combined accounts. 

Ermes