Hmm777's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How to reach out to senior Google maps moderators or area managers

I've been trying for almost 5 months now to do the community and tourists a service by reporting a particular gas station https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shell/@49.2048463,-123.0249988,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x548675df6636c... as permanently closed.

I've attempted to make changes thru the desktop. It seems some mod looking after the area lacks sufficient reasoning skills refuses to approve of the change because he can't verify it despite the images and other sources such as Waze, GasBuddy, Yelp report the place closed. Furthermore,why would someone who's a long time contributor lie about a business such as a gas station (truck stop) as being closed? 

Additionally, the website link that is referred in the business details is from a third party. Shell Canada can't update it, all they can do is send the information to a third party. The link provided should really never been used and approved in the first place. 

Should one use common sense, they would check out Shell's main website and do a search for that station. The results there would be nil. 

What's also a messed up is that Google maps won't allow me to make a comment or note regarding the changes. On the mobile map version, you see the option but it won't allow you to enter anything. The "Note" option is missing from the desktop version. 

Back in the Google Mapmaker days, a mod or area manager would be able to communicate with you regarding any inconsistencies surrounding your map reporting.  It seems once again Google takes the approach of three steps forward 2 steps back.

Anyway, if someone can go and make the edit, that would be great. But I'd like to know how one can go about and contact someone in a senior position that oversees or grants users permission to approve and deny changes.

Vancouver, BC, Canada
12 comments
Level 7

Re: How to reach out to senior Google maps moderators or area managers

Hi

Welcome To local guide connect

According to my knowledge u r try to say you are unable to report permanent closed place

Below troubleshooter can be helpful

https://support.google.com/business/answer/6314541?hl=en

Regards

SoUrAbH

Level 2

I had no idea there are bots replying to posts here.  

The response provided completely misses the issue at hand. 

Level 10

Hi @Hmm777 there are no more Area Managers on Google Maps. Everything is achievable only through report in app.

This particular site is a claimed MyBusiness site of a chain, so it's very likely that such edits should be approved by a GMB manager.

Often the edits are overwritten by a bulk upload of a file containing all the informations on the sites of the chain; so the best thing to do if you really want this place to be marked as closed, is to contact Shell managers that could remove the place from their listings.

Level 2

@LucioV wrote:

This particular site is a claimed MyBusiness site of a chain, so it's very likely that such edits should be approved by a GMB manager.

Often the edits are overwritten by a bulk upload of a file containing all the informations on the sites of the chain; so the best thing to do if you really want this place to be marked as closed, is to contact Shell managers that could remove the place from their listings.

How do I contact the GMB manager's supervisor. If the GMB manager is denying such requests without doing his/her due diligence there's a serious issue that must be addressed which is indicative of a large problem within the Google maps reporting system.

PS. As already stated in my original post, the website link quoted which is from a third party can't be changed with the correct one since the same person who is denying the edit is also refusing allow the change to the website address.

Level 9

Hi @Hmm777:

As @LucioV indicated, for issues like this, where you need to report a problem with the business and perhaps how it is claimed, you will have report through the app. Have you had a chance to try that? As moderators, we basically report in the similar manner. 

I did, however, look on Shell's website and noticed that this location is temporarily closed (see screenshot below). Perhaps there are upcoming changes that we are not aware of, which may be partly the reason that it is more difficult to change it

shell.png

Do you have other information from elsewhere indicating that it is permanently closed? If so, I suggest that you include it in the report as well. 

I'm personally in the Vancouver area but haven't driven by Marine Drive in a few months.

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 2

Hi, Thanks for looking into this. 

As mentioned in my initial and subsequent post, I have done everything I could including reporting the location via app, but nothing was done. I have encourage others to do the same.Surely there must be another way of having an issue such as this escalated and reviewed instead of posting here and requesting assistance. It's further frustrating and insulting when the GMB remains silent.

The "temporary closed" for the Shell is  likely is an error, but I have nothing to back that up except word of mouth from the East Fraser Lands Development team. They state the fuel tanks will be removed another business will take it's place. Here is the link: https://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/east-fraser-lands-river-district.aspx and it shows a map, but nothing as far as approval for redevelopment at this time.

Shirley, I would be satisfied if you could assign the temporary closed designation and it's ironic that the station is now showing as temporary closed. When I searched for it, it wasn't there,

Can the temporary closed  be changed including adding the  correct web address, with a copy of the change forwarded to the GMB's manager so they're aware and they can discuss with the GMB why h/she insists on keeping the business as being open? Obviously, everyone reports to someone?

Level 2

Hi Shirley, did you see my previous reply to the above? It seems like it was posted and removed? 

Connect Moderator

Hello @Hmm777,

First, regarding your first reply to @Sourabh_says, insulting people is not acceptable in this forum.  Please show respect for all users.

Regarding your issue; as mentioned this location is claimed.  The issue is likely that claimed places to go to the owner for confirmation of the change.  Shirley found the temporary closed marking on their map, but the actual landing page on their site for this location states that it is open.  Judgements about whether a company can quickly update their own site or not are not part of the review process.  Google cannot consider only you edit, they must consider all information including the company stating that they are open.  When Map Maker was active I was the main reviewer for your area.  Based on all the evidence, if I could not ask for more information, I likely would have denied this; so I cannot fault any Googler if they were involved and did not approve it.

I likely could make the edit, but the rules of Maps (and Map Maker before it) do not permit me making it as I don't have the required knowledge.  What I can do is escalate it for investigation.

Regarding your request to speak to the supervisors of any Googlers involved; that will not be possible.  Some errors will occur, that is inevitable.  Google has internal quality to check and correct issues with reviewers work.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 2

Firstly, I have no idea what you're referring to about insulting the user you mentioned. The user's comment did not address my issue, nor did it seem he understood it. Posting a canned scripted response which is exactly what a bot would do is inappropriate and only annoys and frustrates others. You, as a moderator allowing such responses is irresponsible and should have this basic understanding. As far as I know, the user in question is a bot, at least from what I seen in this thread.

Nonetheless, I suggest you visit Reddit and Facebook. There you will see rampant insults, harassment and so on. I see nothing insulting by my response. However, providing a bot like response is insulting to most people. 

Secondly, your response to my issue is inadequate and far from acceptable. Everyone is accountable. Unless one is owner/operator of a business, they all have a superior, such as manager, supervisor, director, someone. Who is your supervisor Flash, I'd like to convey my thoughts to him or her. Please escalate this matter and provide me the information I shall seek. Should you not, there are other means of doing so which will take more time. However, I can reassure, I will persist and not be intimidated by your inappropriate language.

Thank you, and have a nice day.