RobLariviere's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How does Maps decide what edits to verify, and can we get a notes section for our edits?

Hey all,

So I had a couple edits in my account just go "NOT APPLIED" -- one was a phone number that's listed all over the internet for a brewery, but then I realized that it may be an area code for mobiles, so that could be understandable. The other one is a very clearly closed business. Now, I don't want to be marked as spammer and not be able to edit stuff because I was wrongly editting -- but I wonder how this happens, and if it might be easier for Google to verify edits if there was a way to add more info?

For example, one thing I editted was the Checkers Burger joint in my neighborhood. The place is dead and gone. it's being ripped apart and it's gonna be a Taco bell soon. It's very clearly permanently closed. If someone searches Checkers around my neighborhood right now, Google will still lead them to this location. if we had some way to add information, I would have been happy to upload a picture of the place.  Now, I've marked it as closed again, it's pending on my account again, and maybe I shouldn't have done that?

Here's another example. One edit I have pending is to change the name of this local Whole Foods around here -- It's a new type of Whole Foods, "Whole Foods 365" and this fact is important, since it's a lower cost store. It's very clearly different than the other places marked "Whole Foods Market" in NYC.  Right now the maps name doesn't reflect that, and I think it would make sense to change the name to "365 By Whole Foods", or 'Whole Foods 365". Maybe it's too nitpicky, but it would be nice to be able to offer the reasoning behind an edit.

4 comments
Level 9

Re: How does Maps decide what edits to verify, and can we get a notes section for our edits?

Hi @RobLariviere- I think the below link can answer your question. 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/WHO-APPROVE-MY-EDITED-PLACES/m-p...

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 7

Re: How does Maps decide what edits to verify, and can we get a notes section for our edits?

Thanks for the reply. That makes this all the more interesting, since people are encouraged to use Google to check facts authenticity. Since google shows the place open, I'm not sure how people would know a place like this is closed.

I do think a notes section, with a place to upload photos, could help. Then people could read your notes to help them verify edits.

Level 7

@RobLariviere,

Please confirm that Checkers no longer lists the location in question as an open one.

https://locations.checkers.com/index.html

Level 7

@sputnikjim Yeah, this is part of the problem. Their website is behind, it hasn't been updated as closed even tho the location has been ripped apart for two weeks and their is new NYC department of buildings signage on it.

It's great to think about checking the website to see if it's closed, but it would be nice if maps had some functionality for local guides to actually show that yes, this place is closed and people shouldn't be directed their anymore. Yelp is showing the location as permanently closed, so they seem to have gotten it figured out.

I think that would be the point of a notes section, to give people more information then they might be able to find online. After all, people checking the edits are not necessarily walking by the establishment and seeing its status, so they are being misled by the Checker's website just as much as the average person. I think that Maps being updated in real time is one of it's strengths, when it works.