Zavija_NZ's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

How can I suggest or have a new 'category' created for use on Google Maps...??

Hello,

I am a mature New Zealander, artist, traveller and local google maps guide. I travel NZ widely in my self-contained camper van, and have found from many years lots of great spots to either stop for a 'picnic' , 'rest' and 'overnight' and think there should be certain category types created to allow us to suggest these for the greater world of travellers.

I am thinking; 'Picnic Spot' (A place suitable to Rest or Picnic), 'Campervan Spot' (Suitable for self-contained vehicles only, to park or stay overnight), 'Scenic Spot' (Cover many different places of interest for locals & visitors alike), 'Swimming Spot' (A safe place for locals and visitors to swim). I am sure there might be more, but this is all I can think of just now.

There should also be a box to be able to type in some directions or notes for people, relating to such places to help people.

regards, Xavier

New Zealand

New Zealand
12 comments
Level 9

Re: How can I suggest or have a new 'category' created for use on Google Maps...??

@Zavija_NZ  Google is pretty set on what categories they are willing to have selected. Then based on other data they refine what is shown based on all signals they see.  In Mike Blumenthal's blog, he discusses the list of categories and then has a link to the complete list with synonyms that is dated 2009. I have no idea if there is an updated version but he keeps very current so assume it is correct.  I have just tried to add a public restroom that is a separate building and it is pending and takes time to get approved. Natural features not already mapped are hard to do.  They tend to be more focused on companies in this program. In the instruction section of how to add a place the start by referring to the business, all the other references are to place. 

Level 7

Re: How can I suggest or have a new 'category' created for use on Google Maps...??

But what if a user has a suggestion to create a new category which has never been created? And no other category completely defines the place in question?

I think contacting Google Maps on twitter is much convenient as we are pretty sure to get a reply unlike using the "send feedback" option.

Level 9

@Vaibhav02 They have a science to the categories and intentionally want to keep it general to prevent user conversion. Then the website will clarify the information on the listing and when to show it.  If there is one the unique category for the whole world how often would it be used?

Level 7

@davidcox wrote:

@Vaibhav02 Then the website will clarify the information on the listing and when to show it.  If there is one the unique category for the whole world how often would it be used?

Sorry I didn't get you.

Level 9

@Vaibhav02 You pick the closest category and that points Google in the right direction. Then other internet information and your website help Google refine its information and decide what queries will show your listing. The total number of possible very specific categories could be in the Millions so that is how they handle it.

Level 7

Okay, but I feel there should be a category created if needed. Thanks 🙂

Level 2

@Zavija_NZ wrote:

Hello,

I am a mature New Zealander, artist, traveller and local google maps guide. I travel NZ widely in my self-contained camper van, and have found from many years lots of great spots to either stop for a 'picnic' , 'rest' and 'overnight' and think there should be certain category types created to allow us to suggest these for the greater world of travellers.

I am thinking; 'Picnic Spot' (A place suitable to Rest or Picnic), 'Campervan Spot' (Suitable for self-contained vehicles only, to park or stay overnight), 'Scenic Spot' (Cover many different places of interest for locals & visitors alike), 'Swimming Spot' (A safe place for locals and visitors to swim). I am sure there might be more, but this is all I can think of just now.

There should also be a box to be able to type in some directions or notes for people, relating to such places to help people.

regards, 

@Zavija_NZ wrote:

Hello,

regards, Xavier

New Zealand

Level 7

Hello @Zavija_NZ

I was looking into this myself just to see if these categories are viable.

- 'Picnic Spot' (A place suitable to Rest or Picnic) wouldn't work due to any area with a picnic table or a place where a blanket / mat can be placed down could be called a picnic spot so to many area's could be called Picnic spots.

FYI = The Hamilton Gardens has 10 + area's which can be called picnic spots.

- 'Scenic Spot' (Cover many different places of interest for locals & visitors alike) wouldn't work due to and example the Desert Road of New Zealand has a few area's on the main road which are Scenic spots to take photo's of Ruapehu so to many area's could be called Scenic spots.

FYI = I used 3 such area's on my way back from Wellington to take photo's of Ruapehu.

- 'Swimming Spot' (A safe place for locals and visitors to swim). wouldn't work due to some countries would class nearly ever water hole / lake / stream and river as a safe place to swim so there would be to many places called Swimming Spot.

- Campervan Spot' (Suitable for self-contained vehicles only, to park or stay overnight) may work due to not many areas are designed for such activities to do with Campervan .

Regards

GH

From New Zealand

Level 5

Thanks GH, As I see you are also NZ based, I would have hoped you would understand... as we have designated 'Rest Areas' along most public roads, irrespective of the millions of suitable places to have a 'picnic'. Perhaps people today are afraid to 'Picnic', and prefer to sit in any fast-food outlet and not bother to observe of enjoy their own country. In my recent travels overseas and obseving visiting tourists here too, they only have eyes for their mobile phone or tablet and do NOT look at all at their surroundings, last observed in a group of 6 or 7 Brits in Bluff last week, but same the world over. Why bother travelling when you do not intend to observe and take in your surroundings?? ta, Xavier xxx PS: Unfortunately most things, maybe like this arena, are designed and aimed almost solely at those in/from USA, our last great imperialists (where they get to tell the rest of the world how we should 'do' things!!). I even had a TripAdvisor review refused once because it showed some US Airline staff in a bad way. Thanks for the help, not sure where we go from here.