Sari_Hamoud's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

How can Google offer better motivation for the Local Guides to add quality info?

It was not the extra 100 GB (used to be 1 TB) cloud space that got me into this program. I was inspired by my ability to change how the world functions; I could actually make a difference and help others. However, certain thing ruin the experience for all of us. This was discussed today with the Googlers.

In today's study with Google Team at Le Meridien, New Delhi, some of the problems were discussed in details with high ranking active guides and Google Team.

Three main problems were discussed:

1- Adding missing places issues ( such as too much time for your edit to be alive and multiple failed edit attempts)

2- Giving credit rights to your pictures (we want to add our watermark but that's not allowed, or at least let Google fuse/tag our Local Guide Name on the photo  )

3- Improving the point reward system ( the current system is not fair and is actually very primitive (view point of gamers like me))  

There were other issues such as how different companies such as Tripadvisor that enjoy better publicity among businesses and have much better questionnaire like GUI for you to input info in your review.

Moreover, the issue of having an actual paper/plastic badge that says you are a Guide and that could be used when adding info about public places and businesses. The logic behind a badge is that an ID would be a great thing to have, in addition to being a memento from our beloved company, it would facilitate many things. For instance, it would actually show that we are doing this voluntarily for FREE. It will definitely help us and Google, as it acts as free publicity for them. Many people still do not know that you can actually add info to Google Maps and have no idea what a Local Guide is, leads to many misunderstandings! 

Thank you for reading and please share with me your thoughts to improve the program 🙂 

Delhi, India
3 comments
Level 9

Re: How can Google offer better motivation for the Local Guides to add quality info?

Hello there,

First of all I'm thankful to you for your contribution in India. Nice observation you have made after collecting all info from yesterday's event. I was listening you carefully when you mention that you were never for 1 TB space in this program and others asking about it again and again. It's really funny but not for them who only joined this program for that offer. It's really very nice that you want to change the map by your contribution. 

1. Yeah you are right that adding new info to a place or new place sometime takes more time. But according to me due to trust level a verification is mandatory from above level local guides(Right now google working on this phenomenon).
  2. Problem is not with point system problem are spammers.

@Sari_Hamoud  well thank you so much for joining us and all info you shared.

Hope to see you soon in Delhi meetup which is going to be host by @AdarshUmangRaj.

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 5

Re: How can Google offer better motivation for the Local Guides to add quality info?

@deepakjhic 

Dear Deepak, 

The please is all mine. I have learned a lot from India and was so luck that I have made what could be described as life-long friends from here. Looking forward to see you guys in the next meet-up. Moreover, I would like to thank you for your feedback. Spammers are indeed a big issue. 

Level 9

@Sari_Hamoud wrote:

@deepakjhic 

Dear Deepak, 

The please is all mine. I have learned a lot from India and was so luck that I have made what could be described as life-long friends from here. Looking forward to see you guys in the next meet-up. Moreover, I would like to thank you for your feedback. Spammers are indeed a big issue. 

@Sari_Hamoud

yeah see you soon in Delhi Food crawl. Need not to mention those words in your tagline that is my signature. You can learn more here.

See you

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.