ShourjyaDasgupta's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

How are the uploaded photos stored?

This is a feedback and question too. 

I have been a Level 4 Local guide for more than a year now and I feel kind of accomplished when I share the valuable information to the world using this Local Guide features. 

I have uploaded close to 350 photos with 9.8K views all together. 

Can anybody help me understand where/how are the photos that I upload stored?

Is it in Google photos(as per my guess)?

If yes, does it eat up my Google Drive space? 

If it eats up the Google Drive space, shouldn't the contributors be gifted with a few extra GBs so that they can keep on contributing without thinking of space constraints?

(Ignoring the 100 GB gift, since it is a temporary 1 year thing. Also I do not remember receiving any email regarding the offer)

When I started using the Local Guide I did not know, that all the photos are stored in my Google photos.

When I open Google photos there are no mark or sign to say which photos are currently been used in Google Maps either. 

I had a Panorama photo from Yosemite which alone touched more than 10K views within a few days.

After couple of months of uploading it I deleted the same from Google Photos, thinking that it is a duplicate and is eating up my space. Similarly I deleted many photos around the same time. Later I came to know that all of those were used by Google Maps the points and number of views drastically reduced within a few days. 

Suggestion: For a better user experience, Google please mark the photos which are used in Google Maps or at least let the user know while deleting/updating that the photo is in use for Google Maps. 

Shourjya Dasgupta
California, United States
5 comments
Level 8

Re: How are the uploaded photos stored?

Really good question, I had never thought about it before. Just a small point google photos don't use up space unless you have backups set to original resolution, if you let google photo compress your photos it doesn't count towards your drive allowence. See screen grab of optionsScreenshot_20170401-000656.png

Level 8

Thanks Stuart for responding. Yes, I have seen this before. Although I am not sure if they are referring to photos clicked in mobile phone or any photos. 

What happens when I take my photos in DSLR and edit and upload in Google Maps directly from my Desktop?

Shourjya Dasgupta
Level 9
Level 9

Hi @ShourjyaDasgupta

AFAIK when we add photos to maps they are compressed to stay below the High quality threshold of 16 MP and thus wouldn't take up any of our allowance. If you click https://get.google.com/u/0/albumarchive/ and https://drive.google.com/drive/photos while signed in you'll get an idea of your stored photos and if you open https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/storage? and click View details it will tell you if Google Photos is using up space.

Level 8

I don't think the photos count towards storage in any case - whether you upload it directly from the phone or manually via a PC. I prefer the manual method as it a sure shot way of ensuring both you and Google Maps have a COPY without bothering each other. While clearing up space from my device, I make sure the images are not deleted from Google Backups as well - Uploads to Maps work well with backups that Google Photos takes.

@ShourjyaDasgupta wrote:

Thanks Stuart for responding. Yes, I have seen this before. Although I am not sure if they are referring to photos clicked in mobile phone or any photos. 

What happens when I take my photos in DSLR and edit and upload in Google Maps directly from my Desktop?

Ashwin Tahiliani
Architect + Urban Designer | By Qualification
Photographer, Urban Sketcher, Heritage Enthusiast | By Passion
Level 8

Drive Space Usage Studies - Adding Photos / Videos...

I have done some studies regarding Drive Space Usage for adding Photos/Videso to Maps.

If you have a use case that I can study, please let me know.