PBarnhart's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Google Wants To Get Me Drunk! Do you see this as a problem?

As a Level 8 Local Guide, I've done a lot of reviews.  However, I've never ever reviewed a bar.  Despite that, Google seems to think I their target audience needs a cheap drink, and at someplace close by.

To make it worse, these recommendations also show up on my teenager's account, despite Google's own standard of not promoting alcohol to minors.  We'd been having fun both creating content as Local Guides, but I've cancelled her account.  I've also disabled Google Maps on her phone and replaced it with another product.

I'm disappointed that Google -- despite having a huge number of Local Guides promoting family-friendly events and venues -- seems to think promoting irresponsible drinking (what else is "cheap drinks" for) is better than any family-related content.

Do you see any family-related content based on your own interaction with the new Google Maps experience?

Screenshot_20180707-122004_Maps (1).jpg

3 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Google Wants To Get Me Drunk! Do you see this as a problem?

Hi @PBarnhart I will move this to the Feedback board. You can turn off the recommendations in your settings.

You may also like to turn on Family Link https://support.google.com/families/answer/7103338 it won't help with this issue but does signal that the account belongs to a child under the care of a parent.

Regards Paul

Level 9

Actually the correct answer is "Update Food and Drink Preferences" not turn off recommendations (which does not appear to apply to this section of the Map app).  At the moment, the preference section does not seem to influence the results and certainly doesn't do something simple like allow you to just block recommendations for bars and drinks like you can for 50+ cuisines.

Level 8

Sorry to hear buddy! Eventually you'll get a more customized experience, with Google, we always do.

Have a good one!