CornelliaW's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Google Tourist Guide ?

Everytime i tell people that Google Maps should be more supportive to tourist, they would refer me to Gtrips. But Often than not, it's difficult, as a foreigner abroad, to know where to start. 

When i travel abroad, i wish Gmap can make it easier for me. And not in a "how can i get there"-way. But in a where-is-the-most-reliable-walking-tour-around-me way. When i need to find a local restaurant near me or volunteering program around me, i have to google it first and then after finding what i want from a series of websites, then i click its address, if it was linked with google map, or manually input them.

I still could google map some of the things, but as a foreign traveler/tourist, the accuracy is still low.

Another thing is temporary venues or events such as pop up markets, food trucks, etc. I still can create a place and delete them later, but wouldn't it be more awesome if you have these icons that show what is happening where? (local and tourist inclusive)

2 comments
Level 7

Re: Google Tourist Guide ?

I have a blog and as answer over thousands questions in some traveling forum, ex TA.

It most difficult to answer questions is like what is the "most", "best" etc. The answer depends on budget, preference, time. What you need is guide book, not Gmap. 

I love event traveling. You can find some pictures of the events in google maps. However, guide is a better solution. 

Former Google Contributor

Re: Google Tourist Guide ?

Hi @CornelliaW.

Normally, on Search, if you look for a particular city, and search for "What to see in [city]", you'll find, apart from standard results, a bunch of places with high ratings on Maps. And you can even search for that within Google Maps!

In the case you want restaurants, you can just search for "restaurants near me" or be even more specific such as "Burgers near [place]" (it doesn't have to be your present location). 

And when tapping on the marker you'll see in the bottom of your screen, you'll find more information about your area, and you can filter by several categories. 

Give it a try 🙂

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.