MaliekaR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Google Systems

I used to think that Google had good systems and valued Local Guides but i have discovered that we aren't that valued. When I first became a LG is used a different email from the one I now use to post my reviews. I stopped using the other email along time ago and was about level 5. Using my current email I am a Level 7 so I have posted considerably more reviews on new email. I discovered that you could not combine posts from two emails into one so opted to use new one that is set up on my iPhone. Anyway I check my old email about twice a year and was surprised to find an invite from Google to submit a video to apply for Local Guide Summit 2018 (old Level 5 account). Unfortunately the closing date had passed so I couldn't apply.

What is interesting is that I didn't get an invite to submit video on my Level 7 account, the one that I receive all my google updates on. I thought it a bit strange as the actual invitation to apply went out to Level 5 and above. Just goes to show that we are not all invited and that some random method is used so people shouldn't have expectations from Google. Because of the random nature of Google systems, I have decided that if those on levels below me get more perks and invitations it is not worth me wasting anymore time writing and posting reviews. I do think these companies just take us for granted, there are hundreds of thousands of us building these businesses but the reality is they can only work with a few of us, otherwise their systems would be overwhelmed. 

London, UK
5 comments
Level 9

Re: Google Systems

Hello @MaliekaR,

Sad to hear that. I think you've unsubscribed from mailing list so first you need to check your mail settings. I'd suggest you to use only one email account in your cell phone to avoid confusion between two accounts.

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 7

Hello @deepakj thanks for your response. I have only been using one email for quite some time and my mail settings are set to receive all mail. 

I don't actually post on old email and only saw the invitation when I did one of the two checks i do each year of my old email to check general mail. 

Google have been sending updates of my newer email postings regularly. It is clear that this particular perk (and possible others) were not sent to all local guides above level 5. Details are sent randomly. As a frequent traveller and a busy person this doesn't bother me but warrants highlighting. Some local guides however, take the role quite seriously and may be perk sensitive and would value the opportunity to participate in an international event and to travel. I am more concerned about Google's random approach on behalf of those local guides who may be missing out. Please note that they have not contacted me to say the perks offers are not random. 

@deepakjhic wrote:

Hello @MaliekaR,

Sad to hear that. I think you've unsubscribed from mailing list so first you need to check your mail settings. I'd suggest you to use only one email account in your cell phone to avoid confusion between two accounts.

@deepakjhic wrote:

Hello @MaliekaR,

Connect Moderator

Hi @MaliekaR while not getting a message on your L7 account is interesting, what is more apparent here is that you are a constant rule violator knowingly having more than one account for a long time (to use your words). The invitation email either was not sent due to notification settings or it went into spam or the transmission failed for some other reason. Email is not a guaranteed delivery protocol. You can read about how SMTP works in RFC 5321 should you care to. I will escalate both the lack of delivery and the fact you hold more than one account for investigation.

@MaliekaR wrote:

I used to think that Google had good systems and valued Local Guides but i have discovered that we aren't that valued. When I first became a LG is used a different email from the one I now use to post my reviews. I stopped using the other email along time ago and was about level 5. Using my current email I am a Level 7 so I have posted considerably more reviews on new email. I discovered that you could not combine posts from two emails into one so opted to use new one that is set up on my iPhone. Anyway I check my old email about twice a year and was surprised to find an invite from Google to submit a video to apply for Local Guide Summit 2018 (old Level 5 account). Unfortunately the closing date had passed so I couldn't apply.

What is interesting is that I didn't get an invite to submit video on my Level 7 account, the one that I receive all my google updates on. I thought it a bit strange as the actual invitation to apply went out to Level 5 and above. Just goes to show that we are not all invited and that some random method is used so people shouldn't have expectations from Google. Because of the random nature of Google systems, I have decided that if those on levels below me get more perks and invitations it is not worth me wasting anymore time writing and posting reviews. I do think these companies just take us for granted, there are hundreds of thousands of us building these businesses but the reality is they can only work with a few of us, otherwise their systems would be overwhelmed. 

Regards Paul

Level 7

Hello Paul, when I purchased new iPhone I used that email to update Local Guide posts as it was the one attached to my new phone. I notified Google that I would not be using mr3 (new email abbreviated) and not m2014 (old email abbreviated) that I used to signed up for Local Guide years ago. I also asked if I could transfer the posts on m2014  to my new account mr3 the only one I would be using in future. I was informed that you cannot carry the posts from an old email to a new email and assumed m2014 was closed.  I continued to use the new email mr3 and did not post anything to what I considered was my old email m2014.

Because I had used the old email m2014 for many years I enter it twice per year to see if anything urgent is in it because some of my contacts may not have been changed to new email. It was on one of those occasions that I came across the invite in old email account that had taken me to Level 5. I am on a higher level with my new email that I have been using for several years and on which I have now reached Level 7. All my updates about new viewing records and offers come to newer email mr3  except the invite to attend the annual summit. By the time I saw it  beginning of May when I routinely check old emails, the closing date to submit video's had passed.

Google had the option to close my old account when I raised the issue of transferring the old posts to my new email. Perhaps this is something your organisation should consider and you should be thanking me for highlighting the need to close old emails when Local Guides notify you of change of emails. As a senior construction project manager working for large international construction consultancy and who travels endlessly, I raised the matter to help you see a flaw in your system. If one of my clients that pay me raised an issue I was unaware of I would thank them not call them a rule violator as if they were a criminal. You would expect Google to understand that people may on occasion change tech and email addresses and that smart phones require use of one email address only. It is these smart phones that we use to post reviews and photographs and no one want to be constantly switching between emails. 

Considering how many views I receive for the reviews posted to get me to Level 7 (not including the old Level 5 posts that I could not transfer to new email) and the fact that I do this for free you should be a little more polite when responding. As you don't provide direct emails to raise concerns privately, we have no option but to approach Google publicly and of course highlight other Guides to the difficulties we are experiencing with Google systems. If you don't want Local Guides to highlight concerns in pubic, then perhaps you should provide other contact details. I have a pile of items for review and was giving Google the opportunity to respond and now you have. I will not use up any more time posting reviews as you systems have glitches and their are many gaps that should be addressed. If Google don't appreciate the work and time we put into creating reviews service for Google freely, then I will stop using it. Please cancel the accounts or provide instructions on how this can be done.

Level 7

If you check the only email I do use you will see numerous notices advising that I am on a new level or have received record views of particular reviews that I have posted. I glimpsed the lengthy SMTP guidance and as you didn't refer me to anything specific section and I am busy, it is just as well I have cancelled posting reviews.