hectorsantillan04's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Google Maps Translations and Language...

Hello guys, 

I was exchanging messages with our peer @JanVanHaver and I'd like to suggest couple of things about language and translation, in the Google Maps app.

I'm from Dominican Republic, here we speak spanish just like other 19 countries in the world, however, our spanish may differ in words and expressions. This is becoming an issue because name translations, automatic review translations might no be accurate to what it should be.

There are colloquial words wide used for people ro express their reviews and to name of businesses. For example the word "Colmando" doesn't translate itself as "Filled" it is actually a grocery store, I often make edits but, they are not always taken, because the automated algorithm understands that the translation is right, however, due to the context, it's not.

This is just one example of so many, that I've seen and I bet that this happens in other countries and not just with spanish language.

I think It might be necessary some human review (app wise), not just through Local Guides program, cause as much as I would like  it to be different, my fellow from my home country are not so used to review and provide feedback. I'd love this opinion to be heard and eventually I'd like to see improvements in the app. I'm more than willing to help as a Local Guide and IT engineer 😉

Thanks!!

Would you guys help me deliver this suggestion?

@ArielleM_ @TraciC @brittym @YanniY @Corrie @Rodrigo_P @ermest  @BruceDM

1 comment
Former Google Contributor

Re: Google Maps Translations and Language...

@hectorsantillan04 - Thank you for sharing your thoughts.  Your feedback will be shared with the appropriate teams that work on improvements to Google product features such as Google Translate.

I am not available to respond on the weekend