Brett's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Google Map logic on editing POI

Its really hard to understand how Google decide people editing the POI on Google Map. 
For example, someone changed the name of a shopping mall to a shop.  However, this mall is actually one of the most popular shopping mall in Hong Kong with over 1800 reviews.  I tried to change it back to normal, but my edit is "Not Applied".  

I wonder how Google Map decide who can edit the places, and why some people can spam it so easily?

Besides, I really hope this POI resume to normal, any help from @Corrie?  This shopping mall is called "Harbour City".

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Claudie+Pierlot/@22.2947584,114.1658908,18.29z/data=!4m11!1m5!8m4!...

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 6.58.58 PM.png

Deep visit of Hong Kong series: Visit Hong Kong 101 | Cha Chaan Teng 茶餐廳 | Cart noodle 車仔麪

Fine me on Instagram: brett.to.go
Harbour City, Canton Road, Hong Kong
16 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Google Map logic on editing POI

Hi guys, we are investigating the issue and will revert to the original name.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Level 9

The changes take time. Some of the feedback from the guides program helps in this process. They want to stay as accurate as possible so use a sort of crowdsourcing to get the information right. The system uses a lot of signals to gain confidence in the information, not just a single edit. Especially in malls, there are a lot of locations inside the mall. If I were to approach it I would go to the mall management office and photograph the logo and official name on the entrance to the office and then some shots of the mall signage so anyone trying to verify it can see the proof when they try and 

Level 10

@davidcox, you are correct in some point.

If you know more about Google, you should know how Google trusted on Wikipedia.  And this shopping mall POI even with a wiki page correctly mapped with it, you don't feel surprise why still allow someone edit / spam it?

One more, this POI actually even with Google's Street View See inside!

Deep visit of Hong Kong series: Visit Hong Kong 101 | Cha Chaan Teng 茶餐廳 | Cart noodle 車仔麪

Level 4

okay. thanks

Level 8

Hi @Brett,

Corrie is no longer on the Local Guides team.  Please see this  Meet the Google Moderators regarding which Google Moderators we should mention.

@GusMoreira should be able to give us advice on this case: a Mall is renamed to one of its shop.

Level 10

Thanks @YK1001, don't you feel suprised for a hugh shopping mall like Harbour City can be changed its name that easy?

Level 9

@Brett  Yes I agree it is nuts. I wonder if the mall owner sees it?

Level 8

I have no words for the approval process and logic.  There is not much details disclosed to us and it is just only my guess anyway.

Former Google Contributor
Solution

Hi guys, we are investigating the issue and will revert to the original name.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 10

@GusMoreira, thanks for that, I major shopping mall can be easily changed really confused many people.  And this case is not a individual case, how should I report more case like this?