JeanRV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Frustration: server error please try again later ==> feature request

Dear all,

I get sometime, indeed too often, the error: "Server error, please try again later" (the French message is Erreur de serveur. Veuillez réessayer plus tard) as shown is this screen extract:

Capture écran server error.JPG

Would it be possible that the local computer or smartphone save the data locally so that the Local Guide has not to input a second time all the data.

Thanks in advance

13 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Frustration: server error please try again later ==> feature request

We had that option on Map Maker..."save as draft".

This is great request, this can be useful on many ways...

Level 8

Hi @JeanRV,

I wish we have that Save as Draft - or like Photos Upload, wait until Wifi.

In situations like this, I can only take a Screenshot and try again later.  So the Save as Draft will really help us.

Level 8

I am relatively new to Google Maps and I have seen this error on more than 50% of the submissions I try to add. With that kind of error rate, I am not likely to continue trying to add new places missing from the map. Is there something else we are doing wrong when this appears?

Level 10

We suggested offline mode for Google Maps on Summit 2017.

From Saint Petersburg with ♥ | Russia Local Guides Russian Language Thread

Level 10

@KentSmith9, the error is frustrating but rare for me.

Sometimes I get the error for a real internet connection issue, all the programs that need an internet connection are down,  It consider in that case the "servor error" a  legitimate error. And other cases, the error is limited to a Google Maps tab in a browser. The other Google Maps windows or tab are working, it seems to me that the error message "servor error" is difficult to understand.

If you get a 50% servor error rate, it may be because of a real issue with you internet connection.

Level 8

Thanks for the ideas, @JeanRV.

In this case, there have been no problems with the internet connection. Everything else has been fine at the time I see those errors. I also continue to get the error trying to resubmit the same pending addition over an hour later. I think this error might be a generic message from the server that does not provide a more specific message. While investigating this further in the last day, I have seen at least one case where I tried to add an airport parking lot and saw this error. After looking around, I did find another pin with that same address, so I canceled my submission to add the new place and submitted changes to the other pin. I'll try some more tests to see if I get this error every time I try to add a pin to an address which already exists.

Level 10

Hi,

@JeanRV@KentSmith9

I had same problem recently. Noticed that it was  not related to internet connection since it applied to most of my other edits. Probably it was set up as a filter for some of places. But i can understand the frustration when genuine edits were denied.For eg the Bank was shown as small alphabet icici  to be edited to ICICI  in Capital letter when such are  issues arising.

jojo
Level 8

@jojo522, This error message does appear to be used for multiple purposes. I have tried multiple times to add a park on the map that keep giving me this error when I easily add parks to other areas of the map with no problem. I have no connection issues at the time it happens, so this is an error that is displayed for a different reason. Either Google doesn't want us to know what is the true problem with adding the places we have selected, or they don't realize they have a bug by sending the wrong error message. If they don't want me to add this park (for whatever reason), the error should tell me to stop trying to add it, not to try again later (as it is doing now).

Level 10

@KentSmith9 Yes there are so many check list and filtering as part of Goggle's efforts for intending  better result and genuine productivity , but often ihad negative effect for the users. as it leads to frustration and wasting time.

jojo