omgitsgela's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Frustrated that we can't edit maps like we used to

When I was an RER, I enjoyed updating specific data on streets paths and other features. I talked to town officials and got copies of street indexes to help with the project, especially in places like Puerto Rico. I enjoyed aligning roads to the satellite imagery, ensuring one ways were correct, and marking sidewalks as necessary. It was engaging, and direct.

In the current iteration, there's no way to directly draw new roadways or features on the map. Where I live, the map is nowhere near complete, and there's a lot of work to do. Google is taking my interest away, because if I can't draft and update road structures here, I'll put my energy into other platforms that give you the customization necessary to make top quality maps, like Open Street Map.

This is likely a futile plea, but some members of your humble community wish we had the map drawing tools still so we could continue working on volunteering our time to contribute our local towns to the map at large. Reviewing others edits doesn't cut it when there's still so much to do with the base maps.

4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Frustrated that we can't edit maps like we used to

Hi @omgitsgela it is likely in time that more supported tools will become available to Local Guides. I'll move this to the Mapping forum.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

As you do not have a mapping question, but rather are providing feedback, I will put this in the feedback section.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9

Great post. I agree with everything you said. The main reason I started using Map Maker was to fix my local area; it had so many problems like missing roads, badly drawn roads, roads set as no auto roads, etc. Editing on Map Maker was a lot more enjoyable (for me) than editing on Google Maps. It was easy to keep track of edits and review edits and also see the history of a feature. I made more than 20,000 edits before Map Maker closed. It's a shame that road editing is still not available on Maps, but I hope it's still being developed. I don't think Maps is able to keep up with the changes that are happening. I could fix my local area much quicker if road editing was available.

Level 7

There used to be a system called map maker, that got closed and still hasn't been replaced