DanielFo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Fraudulent edit of phone numbers - Its getting worse.

There has been a post about this before but I think it's time Google did something about this. Using Check The facts, it wont take you more than few seconds before you encounter a number that has been suggested before. Within an hour you can find as many as 50 numbers listed on more than 200 businesses.

This is Nigeria and this is what the scammers do for a living. People are losing money to these scam artists. IMAX Lekki has a disclaimer on their website that some one attached his/her phone number to their Google page and have been scamming people. I personally have been a victim of these people. Some months ago, I paid for a bus trip early around 5am The guy said he has to book the last space for me. Believe me I never thought for a second it was a scam as I was in a hurry. Problem is people hardly report crimes like this. After a few days, the number was no longer available.

I think its best Google implements the change from their end. Maps can automatically reject any number than is suggested for more than 3 business without same name. More checks can be implemented using combination of techniques to make it hard for the scammers to add duplicated numbers. As they have done for detection of fake listings.

Lagos, Nigeria
4 comments
Level 10

Re: Fraudulent edit of phone numbers - Its getting worse.

Level 7

Is the Google My Business program available in Nigeria?

It can help protect the vital details, like phone numbers and websites, of a business from scammers and unscrupulous competitors..

Level 7

Yes, the program is available. But not every business owner knows about this. 

Level 9

That's why it is good some business claim their business on gmap. It is a way of reducing scam