Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Forever Not Applied.

Dear diary,

It's day 7. I vowed to stop touching the edits until further notice or if I'm given the green light to test edits for a reverted or altered algorithm. 'nuff said.

Level 8
Level 8

Totally agree with you

I think the problem is claimed business still google accept their edits more than us even they are making stupid edits.

Example

I made change to a key replacation shop that catogerized as Gas Station but my edit Refused

https://goo.gl/maps/LEcJQGbJfrn

And many other edits like this 

Level 9

Re: Could not be verified

on many places i changed only 1 in the phonenumber.

Thanks to all for your help!

Level 8

@A_A

I am not convinced by your example. 
The business has not a single photo and not a single review along the lines "I had my keys copied here and they did a great job". There is no street-view or website, so how is Google supposed to verify your edit?

Level 8
Level 8

Sorry i did not explain alot about my example but if you see google imagery sure there is no gas station ,second thing which is very clear is the name of the shop in Arabic language clearly state Key duplication shop not Gas Station.

So you support my change that rejected by google which is changing category from gas station to Key duplication shop by telling that you copy your keys there.

Thank you

Level 10

Dear @A_A,

Looking at the translation of the Arabic I can see the following translated:

محل مفاتيح المفتاح الالكتروني لقص وبرمجة المفاتيح والريموتات
Translates to "Replacing keys, electronic key for cutting and programming keys and remotes"

Although I agree with Jeroen that I cannot see any available photos or streetviews (a front-view of the store would be nice), calling this translation as a gas station is not the best category I would say. There seems to be a "Car Inspection Station" nearby however, so I cannot verify. It's hard to know what things are especially if we do not see it in person, but you yourself as Local Guide, are indeed local. So I may be able to support your edit.

In addition, the place is not currently claimed, so it should be simple to make easy, real edits that other Local Guides can verify.

Anywho time to continue on my writing...

Level 10

Dear diary,

I'm sorry to have failed my previous self. I delved into furious editing today simply because it is part of my nature to share my experience, expertise and ensuring accuracy for all. Today I have a case, a really interesting real-life case that I sat down with one of the staff members at the Profiterole Patisserie in Strathfield earlier this afternoon. For those who don't want to read my experience, you can skip the spoiler.

Spoiler
The Profiterole Panic: A real-life based experience about the sheer importance of accuracy on Google Maps
About a week ago, a reservation for a couple was noted for a couple's anniversary. The girl had accidentally discovered this place while visiting her relatives, and so being the sweet tooth that she is, she made a reservation at 7:30pm to celebrate, and invited her boyfriend there. She was a lovely girl, very gorgeous and considerate, although what happened next surprised the staff.
One thing that was eventually discovered about her is that she cannot stand tardiness for her life. Being the early bird that she was, arriving at around 7:20pm, she was there for a while, looking at her watch as the staff member in charge observed. By the time it was 7:30pm, she constantly kept looking at the time on her mobile, all alone at her table. Five minutes later, she's observed to be texting furiously, probably wondering where her boyfriend is.
It's 7:50pm. Finally the boyfriend arrives at the patisserie, and upon been seen by the girl, she starts shouting at him, criticising him for being twenty minutes late. She hits him with her bag on the chest, screams at him and storms off. He calls out to her as she runs off but she continues to walk away in frustration. The staff member attempts to console him as to whether to cancel the reservation or not, but then is rebutted with "This is your fault! Your restaurant gave me the wrong directions to The Boulevarde and now I am twenty minutes late to my anniversary! Now look what you have done!" Unaware with what he was talking about, the man stormed off to chase his girlfriend, and didn't come back thereafter.
A week later I come in. One of my mates were going to her partner's place, and so I decided to tag along with them and see what was around. I stumbled upon this beautiful patisserie full of cakes and dessert, and so impulsively given my cravings for dessert after lunch, I dined in with some luscious, delicious waffles. I check in to the place, noticing that the map marker wasn't actually in this building, but back on The Boulevarde, which was incorrect. I verify the address on the website and my current location, 289 Liverpool Road Strathfield? Check. So then I edit the map marker.

Not applied.
Once more time?
Not applied.
What about on the road where 289 Liverpool Road, Strathfield actually is shown on Google Maps?
Sorry, no comprende por qué le está pasando todo esto.

After finishing my delicious pancakes with ice-cream, with probably one of the best hazelnut ice-cream that was so full of crunch and flavour, I approached the staff member with my phone in my hand, Google Maps on the screen. I told the staff member that I was going to give a raving review, and was impressed with the overall experience and presentation, much to his delight to hear.
But then I showed the map marker, and proceeded to disclose this fallacy.

"I have a question. The address to this place is 289 Liverpool Road right?"
"Yes that's right, here."
"Ahh okay. Do you know why the map marker shows that it's on The Boulevarde instead?"
"Hold on, but you are here right now and you checked in..?
Oh that is wrong, please use the address of the place not the marker! That explains a lot."

The staff member comes and sits down with me, the cafe not too busy at this moment in time.
"You see, there was this incident last week that shocked me, because there was this girl who shouted really loudly, disturbing all the customers here. Her partner then told me it had something to do with being given false directions which was why he was late."
"Oh really? Please tell me about it."

And then he recounted that night last week about what I had written above. I gave him resolve that I would do as much as I can as part of the Local Guides program to correct the map marker, but already told him that I tried and was unfortunately rejected.
"Is that so? Unfortunately then we cannot trust Google with our customers if they are giving incorrect information about our location."

I thanked the staff member for his time and sharing his experience and committed to the improvement of the maps, even if he became newly skeptical about it (he's an Apple Maps user by the way, I bet the girlfriend was too).

I continued on my journey for the day with a newfound determination to make things right.

Anywho, I wanted to move the map marker to ensure that it was in the correct location to ensure that the previous scenario didn't happen again. But what happens based on the current tweaked algorithms in this moment in time? You guessed it. I will fully illustrate my experience below to the correct location of the Profiterole Patisserie constructed.

The crux of the editing disaster, and where things should truly be. The intersection of The Boulevarde and Liverpool road is notorious for being confusing.The crux of the editing disaster, and where things should truly be. The intersection of The Boulevarde and Liverpool road is notorious for being confusing.

@Flash, provided that you have advanced mapping capabilities and a trust level that I can only imagine achieving over the next few years, will you be able to do the impossible and update the location? Please see the screenshot and details above. Strangely I cannot for myself, and I used to be able to so easily. Considering that "there are a large number of other mappers with very high trust around the world with many times the 5,000 edits I am claiming make me an experienced mapper." clearly I am not worth anything. So please do so for the betterment of this business and to avoid further quarrels with the business.

To conclude, I will continue to compile reports and posts of other local guides that are experiencing this unfair 'not applied' business. Clearly this is not just two reports. I leave this with the moderators and the Google team for further investigation. These have been compiled during the last 24 hours only, as well as the ongoing issues I have previously linked to.

Incorrect information not updated

Could not be verified

Colleague Joseph has provided an amazing suggestion that I fully support and endorse. Unless the profile/local guide/contributor has been flagged as a confirmed spammer or with malicious content that cannot be verified or confirmed when 'checking the facts', our suggestions unless given a very valuable reason should never be shoved to the side and disregarded. I cannot read Gus' post the same way anymore since none of that means anything to me anymore since it's now gone over my head with the numerous amount of times I myself personally have been linked to it to no help whatsoever.

No offence, by the way.

One whole week has passed now, and this inconvenience remains. I solemnly swear I'm not part of the problem. But I will increasingly continue to keep business owners informed of any map characteristics/details that are requiring of editing as I continue to make the functions of the GMB platform known.

Warmest regards.

Former Google Contributor

Thanks @wishmasterf - I have collected alot of information from everybody regarding the issues they are facing and the investigation is ongoing. I'll update the thread as soon as I have new information!

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 9

@BruceDM Thanks for your help. Hope you will find the problem and we get it solved soon.

I will not do changes for now, because it is much work for something which get rejected. Hope it will be solved asap.

There is a another thread (german) about that problem.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Deutsch/Bearbeitung-nicht-m%C3%B6glich/m-p/501972/highlight/fa...

Level 9

Place Creation Not applied (Problem with accents maybe ?)

Hello everyone,

that's the first time that I am bumping into this problem.

usually, when I add a place : I get an email just after adding it saying that the place is published or that is pending review.

But for this place called "Crêp'eat", I was surprised that I didn"t get any email after adding the place, and so I checked "my edits" panel, and I see that the addition of the place was not applied....

did the accents of the place (name) triggered some kind of filters and Google thought that it was spam or something like that ?

The place is new and I took some pictures of it). Then, since my addition was not working, I try adding it without the accents > and this time Google said "pending review"....

not applied.png

What do you think ? did you ever encounter that problem too ?

Thanks for your comments / 

Best regards.

Check out my virtual tours demo / "A camera is a save button for the mind's eye" - Geek quote 🙂 /

Generated using https://ndsmyter.be/local-guides-banner/