Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Forever Not Applied.

I'll just mention that even if the city refers to a toilet as "Central Park Toilets", that is them using a descriptive name for their purposes and it still does not qualify to be on the map anymore than "Central Park Picnic Tables", "Central Park Playground", etc.

But if you do have ones with unique names and find time to post them we'll be glad to look at them for you.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Former Google Contributor

Re: Could not be verified

Hello @Flash and @Briggs,

@Flash has provided a lot of good information here and there is not much more I can share. After viewing your screenshot @Briggs I am writing because i'm curious what the changes you are trying to make are?  It looks like "Mt Druitt" is in the name of many of your Name edits that have not been applied and i'm curious to know what the edit you're trying to make is for all of these places? 

For example --> "KFC Mt Druitt."  I'd be interested to know what your suggested edit is in a case like this.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 6

Re: Edits not published

Thanks Paul,

my husband is a local guide too, he'll try to change the locations, he's a higher level, maybe it will work!

Level 8

@BruceDM

As per Google Mapping rules, names should not have a descriptor in it. All KFC restaurants are called "KFC". The KFC company might call this particular restaurant (internally) "KFC Mt Druitt" to distinguish it from other branches, however, it is most likely not the name they use on all the signs on the front door, windows, etc.  So every company chain that uses a location name in their map -listing is doing it wrong.

Personally, I don't understand why GMB is not doing a better job in monitoring these large companies that probably have a central office that claimed all their businesses and manages their branch listings. But perhaps, in this case, it is the shop manager of this particular local KFC that broke the rule.

Now as Flash as told us in other forum threads, descriptors are sometimes acceptable when too many places in a certain area have the same name. Let's say, there is an elementary school that is called "Mt Druitt", there is a mountain with that name and a campsite that carries the name "Mt Druitt". So if you and I were talking and I said, let's go to Mt Druitt, it would not be clear what I am talking about. In those cases, you would be allowed to name the campsite "Mt Druitt campsite".

Personally, I think the category should do the trick to distinguish the different places in the listing of all the places named Mt Druitt, but my opinion is not relevant. We map by Google rules 😉

Level 9

@Flash The City named the Toilets like the park, street, building near the Toilet. I think, a name with geolocation-data is not good. The name i will use is "Öffentliche WC - Anlage der Stadt Graz" (means Public WC of the city of Graz). I saw that other Public WCs in Austria named like that.

Take a look here:

Öffentliche WC - Anlage der Stadt Graz
Pestalozzistraße, 8010 Graz
0316 8728606

https://goo.gl/maps/kCHqJ8hTA9C2

What do you think about that?

Connect Moderator

@Flash The City named the Toilets like the park, street, building near the Toilet.

That is then a description rather than a name, and cannot be used on the map.  The only exception would be if there is clear signage on the washroom giving that name, so if it said "Central Park Washrooms" over the door then it could be used as that then has graduated from a description to a name.  However, the algorithms are not going to be able to understand the distinction and human reviewers will also likely see it as a description, so it would be very tough to get them on the map.  Once on the map they stand a good chance of being deleted when someone sees it and assumes that it is just a description.

"Öffentliche WC - Anlage der Stadt Graz" is most definitely a description, not a name, and such a feature also would not be permitted on the map.

Both of these situations would explain the denials you have been getting; it appears you've been mapping places that don't have proper names and thus should not be on the map.

I need to caution you with using other examples from the map to base your own mapping upon.  Examples that contradict every rule of the map can be found somewhere on the map, and thus the fact that you can find something on the map does not mean that you can emulate it.  Each place on the map needs to be evaluated as to how it fits the rules of the map, not as to whether there are other examples of it on the map.  The example to which you've linked needs to be deleted.

Edit: Please see this post and the rest of the thread it is in, it might help you to understand a bit more.  In many cases the washrooms you are trying to add likely can be added, but they need to be added by getting Google to add a secondary category to the feature they are within.  So a washroom in a park would not not normally get added as a separate feature, but rather the category of "Public Washroom" would be added to the park.  This was something we used to be able to do ourselves and hopefully it can be done again in the future.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 9

Most of the Toilets do not have "names". So it is not allowed to add Toilets Buildings to Google Maps?

On the houses of this Toilet you find a sign with "Öffentliche WC - Anlage der Stadt Graz". Its a description in your eyes and a name in my eyes. 

The company is "Stadt Graz", it is also written on the house. So do we have to name all Toilets here "Stadt Graz" ?

I fully understand that there are rules and i know the rules make sense. But in my example i can not see a  correct way.  Is the correct way to delete useful POIs because google rules do not fit in every situation?

I think it will not help anyone to have some POIs not in GMaps or with names which makes no sense, butnthenfit to the rules. I think we build a database for users. We want to search and find correct information.

Do you really think thats the best way for us and google?

EDIT: Not all washrooms are inside a park, place or a building. Some are seperate houses. So i can not solve that with a "second category" (which i can not set....).

Connect Moderator

Most of the Toilets do not have "names". So it is not allowed to add Toilets Buildings to Google Maps?

In most cases they cannot be added as their own feature.  Please see my edit on my last post for more information about added them as a component of another feature if they are within another feature.

On the houses of this Toilet you find a sign with "Öffentliche WC - Anlage der Stadt Graz". Its a description in your eyes and a name in my eyes. 

Neither of our opinions matter.  It's a description in Google's eyes.  It is their map, they get to make the rules.

The company is "Stadt Graz", it is also written on the house. So do we have to name all Toilets here "Stadt Graz" ?

No, the correct thing would to not have them on the map.

What you have to realize is that not just anything can be mapped.  Everything is useful to someone; so the fact that someone finds it useful is not enough.  The base map can only contain so much information before it because slow and overcrowded.  For that reason there are limits as to what can be mapped, and then Google offers ways to make custom maps on which you can place anything else.

Connect Moderator

EDIT: Not all washrooms are inside a park, place or a building. Some are seperate houses. So i can not solve that with a "second category" (which i can not set....).

Then they cannot be mapped.  I was simply offering you a way that some might be noted on the map.

Level 9

Sorry, but i think i am not the only one who think that toilets are very important POIs. If you are on a right and have to pee you can not find a toilet on maps because google does not want you to pee?

And why there is a first category "Öffentliche Toilette" (means "Public Toilets") on GMaps  if there are no Toilets with names or without descriptions or locations in it?

These are Googles rules, ok. At first you thought a rule was good, but after a  while you see it is not practically. Why not change it?

If no location and descriptions are allowed in names you have to delete or change more than 50 percent of the POIs in Austria.

Net thing is, that there are many Categories used, whch i can not set. For example Mailboxes. The category "öffentlicher Briefkasten" (Public Mailbox) can not be set by local guides. So they have to set another category like "post office", which is false. But is it the better way you will not find a post mailbox?

I know I am annoying you, but believe me, my motivation is to make maps more useful and better.