Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Forever Ain't Applied

Following that first batch of 10 edits, my next 8 edits were: 3 APPROVED marker moves, 3 PENDING marker moves, one instant NOT APPLIED place creation, and one instant NOT APPLIED @Briggs's St. Paul the Hermet name change. This is probably somewhat lower acceptance rate than the typical pre-Great-Algorithm-Shift days, but still workable.

Level 10

Re: Forever Very Applied

@Briggs wrote:

From my experience, Google Maps tends to accept or consider an edit if there is geographical evidence (via the GPS) that I have previously passed by that spot before. Anywhere that I haven't even slightly passed and they tend to be sent off for review.

Many of my edits are for areas I've never been to, based just on Streetview images. The success rate for those edits is about the same as that for areas that show on my Location History, and areas that don't show on my Location History but are near the GPS coordinates embedded in photos I uploaded.

Do a sample of, say, 20 edits in a city you've never been to, and compare that to 20 edits in Sydney. I think we all tend to look for correlation where none exists.

Level 8
Level 8

Has anyone "backtracked" there edits? Like new places applied?  

New place I addex couple days ago says approved....cant find it on maps via search or google search...

Did a number and web add. Was approved....even did a review of the place.  Still missing....

Dischem Melville. Gauteng, South Africa.  Afrika, planet earth

Level 8

As an experiment I have created (approved instantly) a ATM location for a bank in Barcelona, Spain and I'm in Thailand, the last time I was in Barcelona was about 10 years ago.

Level 6

Adding geographical places that really exist, i, very often, receive not applied place creation

Add a missing place “Not applied”

Before writing this post, I read a lot of post on https://www.localguidesconnect.com/ about the subject new place “not applied”.

About the “not applied”, this is my experience.

I always and only add existing topographical phisical places: mountain, peaks passes, lakes.

I hope that this information minimize the answers that invite the maps users to check if the place still exists.

When I add a place, to select the point, I use the coordinates that I record with my gps; at home for maximum precision I double check the place coordinates on a existing topo maps.

Nevertheless I received a lot of “not applied”.

As suggested in the following post, I tried to change the place name name with no success.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Even-the-place-really-existed-it-says-not-a...

In another attempt I followed the advice of the post

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Place-not-applied/td-p/496630

If you add a place with Google Maps on Android, you will have the chance to add pictures during the add, so as soon as it will be approved (and if you add photos it's more likely will be added faster) they will appear along with the new place “

The result of the attempt is awesome.

I added, using android, a place refused many times (not applied); this time adding a photo

it seemed that the operation succeeded because i received the message “Place added +15” and “Point earned +15” but ..

checking the Edits the place appear “not applied” and watching the picture that I added the name of the place is “unknown placeor “view place”.

Summing up, the question is:

Could you give me a clear explanation of the geographical places that google maps software dislike?

Best regards, thanks.

Lorenzo Piazzi

Level 4

Re: Adding geographical places that really exist, i, very often, receive not applied place creation

@lpiazzi50, I had exactly the same experience. In front of the business, with Android. Added photos which, I guess, the app could tell were taken from of the location. I even got the "Thank you for improving Google Maps" message (see below), but then I went to check and the place was "NOT APPLIED".

This place was actually, instantly, NOT APPLIED.This place was actually, instantly, NOT APPLIED.

So, the first question that pops into everyone's mind is; "Based on what criteria is this «NOT APPLIED» when any human with minimal local knowledge can tell this is legit?" Since Google won't publish that information, I would LOVE to see a discussion on that so we can determine, empirically, at least some of the criteria.

In my case, I then decided to Google for the phone number and found that it showed up on some very old business directories under another name (before the business was converted and the name changed). I also found that the address also coincided. So, my hypothesis is that GM is seeing these business directories and thinking "Hang on! Although it is not explicitly published on GM, I know there is another business there. You publication attempt is «NOT APPLIED»". Also, the registered business name is different from its street name -- kind of like "Yum! Brands" would be the registered owner of all KFC restaurants at all locations, on official registries -- so that could also be a contributing factor.

So, doing a little reverse engineering, based on my personal experience and based on information I've read in the forums (or "fora", to be rigorous) my guess is that Google has at its disposal the following information:

1) Human reviewers.
2) Performance of Local Guides (usable to determine a trust level).

3) Location of Local Guide when inserting the place.

4) Information in the Google search engine.

Can anyone add to that list?

My guess is, for these instantly "NOT APPLIED", GM does not use number 1 (or it would not be instant), it does not use number 2 to a large extent (or Level 10 Local Guides would not be seeing their edits outright rejected, as has been extensively reported here), does not use number 3 (or someone from Thailand would not be able to add an ATM in Barcelona) but uses number 4. One hypothesis is that if this business has a heavy "Internet" presence, as determined by Google Search, then it's unlikely it will be rejected outright. If there are other businesses on the web with the same phone number or street address, even if they are wrong, they will introduce enough doubt into Google's algorithms to reject any attempt to register a business with the same phone number / address.

Another possibility is that, for certain business categories (shopping malls?), if it doesn't show up on Google search, it won't be accepted on Google Maps.

What do you think? Does this seem plausible? Can you add any information to this?

Level 8

Re: Adding geographical places that really exist, i, very often, receive not applied place creation

Google is trying to make money from maps, and therefore any location that can been seen as a business (as a category) will follow different rules in the software. I know that in Thailand when I try to edit or add any medical locations I get bumped to pending or not applied (as an example), therefore, the more the business's are global brands or need control the less you will be able to influence the location, there will also be exceptions which will be written into the algorithm. I think if we think more about the "required" fields when creating a location it may give us a clue where we can be successful.

Level 8

Yes, you are right. Google's every service is there to make money and Lot's of it...!!!😢😢😢

That's why, they are more interested in Business Edits....for these Edits also, they want the owner to fill in the details...!!! Ha..ha..ha

We Local Guides do hard work for it's improvement and what do we get in return....??? Unaccepted Edits....😢😢😢

No use of complaining also...

Somewhere, a moderator is watching your , mine or every mail but won't respond with a plausible reply or explanation as to why, the Edit was rejected....!!!

Well, I have stopped Editing altogether fir this reason....!!!😊😊😊

Level 8

Google's every service is there to make money and Lot's of it...!!!😢😢😢

That's why, they are more interested in Business Edits....for these Edits also, they want the owner to fill in the details...!!! Ha..ha..ha

We Local Guides do hard work for it's improvement and what do we get in return....??? Unaccepted Edits....😢😢😢

No use of complaining also...

Somewhere, a moderator is watching your , mine or every mail but won't respond with a plausible reply or explanation as to why, the Edit was rejected....!!!

Well, I have stopped Editing altogether fir this reason....!!!😊😊😊

Connect Moderator

Yes @ratanrateria we should get a plausible reply or explanation as to why and that is precisely what my suggestion Reason for NOT APPLIED was sometime ago in the Feedback and Feature Request Forum.