Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Forever Not Applied.

On an unrelated note, I kudoed the majority of posts all on this thread.

I like kudos. The study of kudology is perhaps one that may need a bachelor's degree in social studies in defining the construct of praise and positive reinforcement. The Kudos Recognition Ratio is my second-most popular thread, but this one is clearly on top. Let us strive to be kudologists, and bringing each other up to astronomical and new heights.

Thanks everyone for sticking around with me.

Level 8

@colinchaffers wrote:

Well said, I suspect the resources to review the edits is lacking and or their knowledge at a local level means that they can't verify the edit, I had a case where I created a location and noticed an error (phone number was wrong) I changed it and several months later it was rejected as could not be verified. 

Indeed, I made typing mistake during adding of one new place, and after few minutes I tried to edit that entry, but without any success.

Level 8

I agree.  As I am rather new here, I like Kudos. 

@Briggs wrote:

On an unrelated note, I kudoed the majority of posts all on this thread.

I like kudos. The study of kudology is perhaps one that may need a bachelor's degree in social studies in defining the construct of praise and positive reinforcement. The Kudos Recognition Ratio is my second-most popular thread, but this one is clearly on top. Let us strive to be kudologists, and bringing each other up to astronomical and new heights.

Thanks everyone for sticking around with me.

Level 4

@Briggs despite the frustration you've expressed, you certainly seem to be one of the more dedicated contributors and, from your posts, you're also quite knowledgeable and have very IMHO valid suggestions. (on a side note, it does seem a shame that your great work is rejected).

You mentioned "There was a time on Google Map Maker where people were actually coached on how to improve their edits, but because the majority of people never actually read their responses and continued their own erroneous ways, that was eventually scrapped."

If that is so, it begs the question: Why was it scrapped? The fact that people were ignoring the "how to improve your edits" is no reason to scrap it. In fact, it would come in very useful as an addendum do the "Not Applied" message. It would also add justification for the "Not Applied" messages received by anyone who "continued their own erroneous ways".

But, you know what comes to my mind with this long thread? Starting another thread where all of us could contribute suggestions of ways in which GM could capitalize on their willing contributors/volunteers and develop a human (Local Guide - based) system of reviewing. First and foremost, this system would need to have the capacity to weed out spammers, people with malintent and sloppy editors -- who are, really, at the root of all these problems. So quality control would need to be a focus and each reviewer (I'm talking about, possibly, an opt-in sub-group of the local guides) would need something like a level of trust (how well intentioned they are) and a level of authority (how well positioned they are to review each particular edit etc.)

We could even include some case-studies of inappropriate rejections (false-negatives) and use them as a center of discussion for developing the framework for a review-group, stating how they would be avoided by this new framework. 🙂

Of course, there would be no guarantee that Google would apply such an idea or whether they could improve on their algorithm enough to make such an idea deprecated but, despite the issues discussed here, they don't seem like a bunch sitting on ivory towers.

I'd love to hear your (as in everyone) opinions.

Level 8

Level 10

@Cosmo, yes, he can, but then a moderator would show up and mark it again as "Solved". I tried that on one of my threads, after a moderator marked it as "Solved". Within minutes, it was marked again as "Solved".

When the moderators here insist on hushing up a problem, there's really not much you can do.

Level 10

@Briggs wrote:

I take photos too, yay! They're my only source of points.

In the 58 days since the Local Guides Disconnect (or is it "The 2017 Great Distrust"?), I've uploaded 600 pictures, wrote 200 reviews, and answered hundreds of questions. Some of those reviews are along the lines of, "This store isn't where it's shown, but actually at <location so-and-so>", which seems silly, but what can we do.

I hope those pictures, reviews and answers help people using the maps. If Google no longer wants my input as to editing the map itself, that's fine with me.

Connect Moderator

Actually I started doing the same myself yesterday: using reviews to inform people about errors in the info. But it's really a pity to have to resort to such measures.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 8
Level 8

@JanVanHaver wrote:

Actually I started doing the same myself yesterday: using reviews to inform people about errors in the info. But it's really a pity to have to resort to such measures.

Its a little difficult to write in a review if the place isnt created yet😂😂😂

Level 8

@JanVanHaver wrote:

Excellent idea. I can certainly start doing this.