Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: people that are frustrated because the bots won´t approve their edits

Hi @Briggs,

I will not say you do not have any trust at all.

To me, the Granularity of the Trust system becomes detailed.  Together with Trends and other signals, each edits is unique and time dependent.

The overall setup is logical. 

It is just how to fine tune each parameter to balance between false positives and false negatives.  And how fast it can self adjust due to feedbacks.

Level 9

SPAMS To REPORT

Dear Googlers

I have a situations and i want to point out.

1. In our city we have one of famous MALL called Shoppers Plaza, in Mikocheni, Dar es Salaam, The Shoppers Plaza (Mall / Shopping center) has been edited i may call them spammers because they did not use appropriate way and later acclaimed official as a business as a betting company so  I / you cannot edit back it because you will end up rejected w/ Not Applied >> Here is the place https://goo.gl/PZsJ9C. You can check reviews (Old ones to last 3 months ago) and pictures as proof. 

2. Another one is Serengeti National Park added in another area of the park >> https://goo.gl/FNAnJY. This place is very popular in our country and major tourist destination to visit is misleading a lot of people due to how to reach there.

all above cases i asked my fellow local guides to edit / rename / remove un successfully so I kindly Googlers to look into it and to take them down.

@GusMoreira @JeslynL

Thank you

Regards,

Joe.

Level 10

@YK1001 and @JeroenM,

I accessed my mom's existing clean Google Maps account and made several edits that I have done over the last few weeks.

When you start off as a budding local guide, you have so much leniency.When you start off as a budding local guide, you have so much leniency.

Literally many of the things that I fought for over the last few weeks got approved just like that. The solution here is not to open up a new account and make your edits there. Local guide accounts don't have a limit for suggesting edits... unless they've been flagged. Here are my observations:

• Maybe the pressures wane when multiple people attempt to suggest the same edit, and where it might not apply for someone else, a second push by another individual can get it through.
  • Someone wrote that it may have had something to do with what information was sent in the edits. If my intention was only to change the category but it also attempted to change something else in the process, that may have been a factor and we might need to analyse that information. I wrote in this post that I got a 'not applied' result for trying to update the business hours, but in fact I was only updating the name.
  • Therefore this point is very important. It may have to do something with the device. My mom uses an iPhone and the iOS version of Google Maps, and all her edits went through. I use a Google Pixel, beta-enabled Android app. I could try to log on to it on the iPhone and see if anything changed.
  • The edit didn't go through when my account reattempted to nudge the map marker on the iPhone. However on her account, it approved instantly. The device could have been affecting the edits as to what suggested edits are actually being sent to the server, and because of that now my trust level has plummeted to almost a point of no return.

So maybe I should be asking the following questions:

• Has my account really been blacklisted this time around? Or that it's trust level has declined so much past the point of redemption?
  • What device were you using to suggest edits? iOS? The web version on a laptop? An Android device? Are you a beta tester?
  • Maybe I should abandon this account and move on to my mom's magical approval account? Obviously that would be against the terms and conditions of Google Maps and using multiple accounts, but she does use it for lists, navigation and the odd review every now and then (Google Maps over Apple Maps any day).

I should stop speculating and just make all these edits, you have no idea how excessively satisfying it is having all these edits being approved immediately on my mom's account (and yet, equally disgusted too considering this account's trust level is essentially dead, also that account has not opted into the local guides program). I moved a chocolate cafe that I've been trying to prove that it's in its right location for months! I took out a location descriptor and it didn't revert immediately after being approved so quickly! I moved a map marker that was idiotically in the middle of a parking lot into its correct tenancy space in the corresponding shopping centre!

THIS IS WHAT I ADORE AND THRIVE IN.

But I'm not my mother. When a freshly-made account gets all their edits applied whereas a seasoned or barely experienced local guides gets the majority of their edits not applied, not even considered or even has to go into pending for months on end, I think that is an extreme concern, makes you wonder about those level 1's or 2's who commented on this thread saying that all their edits went through fine.

We have a new perspective to look into now.

The algorithms; and a massively askew rejection rate of those who have previously had 'not applied' edits.

What now?

Level 7

I think the higher ups need to stop beating around the bush and get us better answers. It's clear that fresh accounts can get edits in without any problem most of the time, and more experience people who signed up for the local guides program are getting the short end of the stick. Something is wrong, stop avoiding it and give us answers or there won't be anyone left that actually wants to help make changes. I myself have been trying to add new stores that opened up, and add missing parks, and move map markers off the middle of a highway......they use to get denied instantly, I complained on here to check if I was blacklisted, a mod told me I wasn't, now they sit there for 5-10 minutes and then get denied anyway. Come on, stop alienating the people who are improving your product, Google (for free nonetheless).

Level 8

Just keep going.

Instead of focusing on the false negatives, focus on the true positives.

Level 10

@Briggs, that is some useful data!

I doubt the device type has anything to do with edits being rejected, but you can easily test that by logging in using your mother's account from your own device and trying some edits.

I think your test gives a very strong indication that the current trust level algorithm disproportionally discredits users for some edits compared to crediting for good edits. In other words, the more you edit, the lower your trust level is.

Of course, in reality things may be more complicated; the low trust level could be a function of a certain type of edits we've made in the past. Today, I was able to mark a restaurant as closed (instant APPROVED), but got an instant reject for moving a map marker for a bank placed in the wrong side of a plaza. Does each one of those failed attempts lower our trust level? 

I have no intention of opening a new Google account each time I reach LG Level 2.  If Google wants to send moderators here to tell us everything is groovy and we should focus on the positives, that is their prerogative. There are plenty other crowdsourced projects that can benefit from our time and effort while we wait for the powers that be to acknowledge and solve this issue. And by "solve", I don't mean marking every thread that mentions this as "Solved".

Level 8

Re: SPAMS To REPORT

Thanks for notifying this Joe. I have tried to change both items back too but it keeps being rejected. 

Another place is 

Lake Manyara Serena Safari Lodge
Kilimanoja P O Box 2551, Arusha 1000

https://goo.gl/maps/JZz956Vd5Hk

The correct place is 

Lake Manyara Serena Safari Lodge
Mto wa Mbu Escarpment, Northern Tanzania
0787 444 003

https://goo.gl/maps/S626EikCpGK2

Should be reported as duplicate. I did this months ago but it's still there! I also tried to move the wrong one to the right location but that was not applied either.

Level 10

Multiple Edits Not Applied

Where is Google support for the local guides?

Recently,  I notice most of my edits on Google Maps did not apply. Not sure what's going on with Google Maps. I have moved the marker, correct the address and correct the phone number, but Google simply just don't take it. Some business are not able to receive the postcard because the suite number is missing, zip code is wrong. And adding a phone number won't be accepted.

screenshot-www.google.com-2017-11-07-12-21-11-040.png

Something as simple as moving the marker to the right place doesn't get approved. The following example shows that Greulich's Automotive Repair at the same place as Taco Bell. As a Google Trusted Street View Photographer for years, I always proactively correcting the errors on Google maps. Feel very frustrated recently. 

20171107_122235_001.jpg

Former Google Contributor

Re: Multiple Edits Not Applied

Hi @TerenceC take a look at this post. It explains why some of your edits are not applied. 

Level 10

Re: Multiple Edits Not Applied

@AGarner That doesn't help. I follow the guideline and even provide photos of the door with the suite number. I upload still images and even panorama to show the exact location for the place I edit. I've edited a location more than 10 times and still got rejected. 

Some wrong info is hurting the business. Would you go to Taco Bell to get an oil change? Would you drive through the back door of a car dealership? Google should be smart enough to see if the edit is legit or not.