Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: people that are frustrated because the bots won´t approve their edits

The only "rumor" is the one you are desperately trying to start.  Again, this is not appropriate behaviour and you need to stop.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9

i do not start a rumor. the only thing i do is, see what many told me and see what moderator here tell us. With this facts, the rumor can be true.

No company who thinks about a future of a project will work like google does now with the LG - project. This project live by motivation. This not only sinks with me.

On most projects google ended we saw similar situations. Lets see what happens. Google is not communicating with us, so we will only know if it happens...

Level 10

Re: Forever Not Applied.

Dear @Briggs

you are mentioned speak of my mind.really i visited some place and added but unfortunately after some days Not Applied message got but what is the main reason? i already send some feed back but i did not get any response.but i shall continue my add-places , edits .

https://plus.google.com/+GolamAgamAzam
Level 10

In four days, we'll be celebrating one year since Google announced it would be discontinuing Map Maker. I don't blame those who are now getting a sense of déjà vu. This is exactly the kind of negative stuff that can be prevented with open and transparent communication.

Dear GMaps, we are not spammers, and you are not the CIA. We are part of your volunteer workforce, trying to help you keep your map up to date and spam-free. If you no longer want our help, all you need to do is say so.

Level 9

Re: Forever Not Applied.

@Golam It is sad to say that, but best is not waste your time. Take a break and wait util Google fixed the problem.

Level 10

Re: gmaps will be ended?

Hi @wishmasterf

I too stop contributing for GMap due to unsupported feature and repeatedly rejections of my legitimate edits and bugs in GM. An edit get rejected one time when I re-submit the same the edit accepted. Is it not a bug ? Nobody has a valid answer for this!!!!. Unable to understand so called algorithm.

Level 8

@OStr

Just for clarification. When I wrote "they sell billions of cars", I was referring to their customers. I am not sure why you thought I was talking about code?

Reading your response, I can only conclude that you totally missed my point.

It is very difficult to engage in a conversation, where time and time again, it seems that the person, on the other side, is not listing/ taking in the message. 

The core topic of this thread is people reporting that they encounter approval issues when they try to submit their edit suggestions. It was looked into and explained. Thereby justifying to mark a solution. It did not say, now we marked this as a solution you will be able to suggest edits as usual. The fact that you are still not experiencing a positive change in the behavior of the bots towards you, does not mean the answer (solution) to this case is incorrect.

Personally, I am surprised about some of the reactions/ posts in this thread. If I were in your position, I would ask questions like:

1) How frequent should I resubmit my edit suggestions, so I am not wasting my time;

2) When should I expect a change to occur? In other words, if indeed I do not experience an improvement after X amount of time, should I get back to you?

Level 9

@JeroenM We are LGs, our part is to correct and approve busnesses ans POIs. How we have to deal sith the algorithm and what are the rules is nothing we have to ask. Thats Google part to define and inform.

In the past we learned, we are too stupid and the algorythm works as design. But it looks like, no one knows how the algorythm is design to work. Sometimes i feel the algorythm is out of control. Its like a lottery with only loosers. Google loose good work of volunteers, we lose a usable map.

You know, that google already killed some good project because they did not care about users problems and needs. It looks like GM is on the same.way. Thats sad.

Many guys quit there work on GM because  of the problems. Enough is enough! End the project, but do not kill it! 

Kick me! Kill me! But i will not stop to fight for us, LGs!

Level 8

Google Maps should find out a proper way to accept & edit an entry in Maps.....their authentication process should be more lucid, transparent and flexible with proper support from Satellite imagery & GPS....Just by rejecting a bonfire edit won't serve the real purpose...

Google Maps is giving a great service all over the world and we are here to improve it....not to ruin it......👍👍

Level 10

Re: Forever Not Applied

Woah-oh-oh-oh, hold on for a moment there. I've been catching up with a ton of reading since I had the entire weekend away from Local Guides Connect, and I'm greeted with a combination of melodrama, bittersweetness and to an extent even angst. I'd like to chip in as the original author of this series of posts and personal venting and hopefully come to a little bit of an interim stalemate. I would rather have a fiery battle calmed down to a little chat rather than just letting it rage on louder and energies haplessly wasted. There are a few points that I would appreciate to be observed and perhaps applied to each own mind as a test of this current challenge.

The first thing is not to blanket a statement. When something starts to happen to yourself, it might seem like it should be happening to everyone else. As you yourself are a devotee and dedicated to the betterment of Google Maps, something such as being rewarded with all your edits being not applied is a shot in the dark. It's already a given that Google Maps does need to strike a balance between the bad spammers and the good contributors, and sometimes many local guides will be indirectly impacted. But that doesn't mean that everyone else is. Whatever what these algorithms could possibly represent is not one that is for speculation or even hypothesis, because only the real Google engineers would know that, and it's not something to talk or even think about. As a collective, it's difficult not to vent out our frustrations, and sometimes it can be as jagged and indirectly fire at bystanders as well, so please be careful in your generalisations.

Secondly, I am always hearing and reading the line that I would need to refine and review the way that I'm editing, because "Those that made mistakes editing in the past will need to adjust their editing and spend time regaining editing trust if they wish to continue editing." I cannot believe that, because no matter if I check into a place and correct any required information or if they do not have any information on them (such as adding hours, or a website, or anything from scratch), I will always have those edits immediately rejected. I used to update parks to be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week as my safest edit, and also update opening hours by taking a photo of their store times, now that's impossible for me as well. Maybe a simple map marker nudge to the correct address? Nope. Adding the category 'Variety Store' to a shop called 'Variety King'? El sistema no comprende. Or spelling "chiken" correctly? Nada. I also resubmit the edits a couple of days later, even though it's probably not necessary as I'm no longer physically at that location, and it's obvious to know the outcome. It is an extreme anomaly and a colossal task for me to "regain editing trust" if it has been set to zero. Therefore that statement for my situation is indeed unjustified, and now it is a real focus and malintent based on the algorithm change prior to the Local Guides Summit 2017, and reducing my editing power to nil. There is no incentive for further editing.

Next, I appreciate that there are a few of you who have kept close to my updates in regards to this thread, and the sentiment that you all bring and discuss together is heartening, or even heroic in a way. Apart from the level ones who think that everything is fine and dandy (like you'd know what it's like to make edits), I know you're probably thinking that you're at the short end of the stick, and your patience is running thin, efforts futile, or you feel that other people are not giving you the clear answers you want to hear. The responses have not sufficed me, furious and unadulterated passion has almost driven me over the edge, drawn myself to heartbreak and manifested multiple times in this thread, and they hurt. Not just my own growing pains, but the other local guides who look to me as a role model, or seeing me contrary to my happy-go-lucky, supportive and clever self also brings them down. As much as happiness can be contagious, so can the ruination of sadness. Of course, you should not accept the current climate of editing that you face, but that is not all that you can do with your life. Think of it as a break, and go out there and venture. Remember what people used to get around places before the era of personal devices and a simulated woman's voice? Physical local directories! Nurture your other passions, and come back to the Local Guides program another time, give or take a few weeks or months from now. These things might will blow over.

Look. It's been almost four weeks, 27 days to be exact since I lost my editing prowess. I'm still going to be Level 10 tomorrow because I've contributed in several other ways and harnessed a further plethora of features that Google Maps has to offer, and to each passing day discovering more and more. I had an amazing weekend doing Zumba the entire time, without a thought at the back of my mind about editing Google Maps (except for that variety store example, that was haram). If a lawful and completely appropriate edit was unfairly and immediately not applied, send feedback to the team or get help from the Google moderators to get your edit applied or intention validated. Although it's extremely counterproductive to have to manually send each one as such and even so they might not understand or action it upon first glance, they are the only options we have right now. And if that's something you can't give credence to, it's time to take some time off.

I am still going to contribute to and be a strong part of this community because this is a place where I'm accepted, valued and acknowledged for my contributions. I have a little bit of a following here arising from my plentiful food photography as well as mobile phone camera tips, rate of views per week (4.6 million per week! Staggering, right?) and all the different friends of the global LG family that I have probably fallen head over heels for over the last six months since my first Local Guides meet-up for the photo-walk with Alex G. Although I will be exceedingly disappointed if this issue isn't resolved within the next two months or so (since that will be an entire season where my edits haven't gone "hunky dory" through like they used to), there is still substance outside our role as local guides sharing our knowledge of the local community and suburbs nearby.

We shall not grow weary of doing good. Because there's more than one way of doing good, and sometimes people can't exactly fathom as such.

Do what you must. If it's taking time off editing, then that's the way to go. If it's venting, make it personal, but don't drag down something you used to love doing. Heck, if you wanted to engineer and program the reason why the algorithms have changed the way they have, then go apply to be a Googler and build answers. I cannot accept that there is quarreling, pointless bickering and unquantifiable speculation going back and forth for a community that should be working together.

Let's roll and get back to what we do best. Be the best local guide we can be.

Now, shall we?