Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Approval process completly broken

@OStr, I will remind you that you are to keep your comments civil in this forum.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9

@Flash @OStr

The first thing we and the conpany have to accept then fact, that there are problems. Next is, that we will not be able to solve. Only Google is able to solve the problems.

I do not know if there is a way to inform the responsible. If, please feel free to do.

Finally, let me say that we are not frustrated because we are too stupid or it does make fun. We are frustrated because we feel lonely. There is a big company who startet the project and does not care.

It is not for me, Google and all users benefit from our changes.

Level 10

Hi @Flash

Can you explain what to do next if legitimate edits are denied again and again by so called Google bots. Being a TC in GMM and connect moderator here, I am reading your replies to LGs since 2014. Google has set their own rules e.g a Primary school should be at least 2 kms from another. Meanwhile, if we add new one which is missing and just half kms away from the existing same feature google bot will reject that. It is happening for other features too. There are some duplicate features with different name and category e.g. a Primary school mentioned as School and College at same location. When I try to delete one the edit rejected by so called bot or algorithms. Could you feel that there must be a review request forum like GMM and space for comment for such edits ?. Besides taking up the issues with team Google you just warning to LGs. LGs are trying hard to add/edit missing/incorrect feature but algorithms reject that. Is it right for the betterment of map and morale of LGs ?? Please try to solve the problem rather than using hard words against the LGs. This is not my personal issue but all of the LGs.

Thanks and Regards

Level 9

@HsRawal The problems are only with you. Google will not fix the problems for you. Why? Because its the algorithm fault not googles. Or @Flash?

As long as we are stupid enough to work hard as we did, as long nothing will changed.

I dont think it is fair what google is doing here. Moderatores should also help to make gmaps a better place and motivate LGs. As i read here we are to stupid to handle the KI which no one own. It is a "out of controll" KI, because no one can fix it. So delete it, furn  ist of and lets try a restart of the project.

Or is it only you dont want to fix the issues?

Level 8

Re: people that are frustrated because the bots won´t approve their edits

Hi guys,

Some of your complaint-posts are becoming tiresome,  particularly since some of you are not listening to some of the feedback that has been given here, including the official Google responses.

There is no point in listing all things that have ever gone wrong in the past in relation to algorithms and jump to conclusions. When you complain, at least stay on topic: you are not able to edit and you want to know how to solve the problem.

Thank you @HsRawal for asking a  constructive question:
"Can you explain what to do next if legitimate edits are denied again and again by so called Google bots."

Somebody changed the subject title (or it is because another thread was merged), but the approval process is not completely broken. I have no problems with getting my edits approved and there are most likely several million people like me that experience no problem. I am sincerely sorry for your predicament and personally feel the issue is lack of education/ training. Contributors to Maps are not fully to blame for ruining their trust score by well-intended poor contributions or undesired behavior if they are not well informed. The Google bots are likely treating you this way for things you did in the past. 

Is it possible that something else is going on and that certain people are unfairly affected? Personally, I think the answer to this is "sure, that is possible". However, if that is the case, it is affecting a minority of the people that contribute to Maps. May sound harsh, disrespectful and ungrateful, but please understand it comes with the territory when participating in a very large crowdsourcing project like Google Maps.

The question how to prevent it, in my opinion, has been satisfactorily answered. The question how to "get out of the hole", once you dropped in, I believe could be answered better.

[edit: corrected an ambiguous typo]

JeroenM

Level 10

@JeroenM and @wishmasterf

Thanks for your kind reply. Yes, Google can't change their rules for me. I am not a new mapper. I have already contributed 16000+ with 99% accuracy edit through Google Map Maker under the guidance of our TC @Flash and @W12engine and other RLs. Meanwhile, we shifted at here. I too familiar with guidelines of Google Map. Earlier, while I was in Level 3 or 4 my maximum edits were approved. Meanwhile, after reaching higher level the % of approval gradually decreased. I am following same rule/guidelines as I done in past. What is going wrong ???. Meanwhile, I would like to say that the edits which were rejected and returned back as NOT APPLIED are regularly being re-submitted by me and this time the same edits are auto approved. This is real cause of frustration. The guidelines are same. Some times the same edit being rejected and now accepted ??? 

Thanks for understanding my query.

Regards    

Level 9

@HsRawal As @Flash told us, we are the  only ones with problems. And the problems are we self. It is like it is. Maybe we have to strike to get some movement at google.

Level 8

Hi @HsRawal,

As stated in Gus' reply in our Solution Post of this thread: Go to Solution.

Once you click "submit" a lot of information goes through our pipelines to analyze what has been submitted, where, who submitted and also what has been done before (the so called "trust score") and to stop some users that try to take advantage of Google Maps, we have an algorithm to stop edit with suspicious behavior from being published.  This algorithm is always changing to evolve with the latest trends we see - regionally and also worldwide - so in case you noticed a change in the behavior of your edits, this is indeed our algorithm doing some work.

Since Trend is a factor of the approval process, timing is important.  As long as you are certain your edit is valid and correct, re-submit after rejection is the way to go forward.  Don't take it personal.

Personally, some extra effort is a worthy price to pay flighting for spam edits.

Level 9

@YK1001 The algorithm is not a alien. It is a software, made by humans. Hopefully it is under control. If not, stop it now.

If it is under control, take some time and correct.

We do Million, Billions of changes every day. Why we should resubmit it. Only because Google does not care about the algorithm and Local Guides.

Sorry but to hear, LG have to try to workaround problems who are only solveable by google is frustrating. Lately, the impression the impression arises that we are to stupid and thats the problem.

We are not stupid and we do a very good job. But we hoped to be a community which includes Google. We want to work together. But Google also have parts to do.

I urge Google to be part of the community.

Level 8

Thank you @YK1001 for chipping in again. 

@YK1001 wrote:

...Since Trend is a factor of the approval process, timing is important.  As long as you are certain your edit is valid and correct, re-submit after rejection is the way to go forward.  Don't take it personal.

Personally, some extra effort is a worthy price to pay flighting for spam edits. ...

I totally agree with your above statement.

@HsRawal

It sounds to me as Google has raised certain filters to stop a certain type of spammers, you have been caught in the net and for the moment under embargo until the system makes a distinction between you and the bad guys.

It makes sense that people that make large contributions are a target for stricter scrutiny by the bots as they can do more damage to the base map. Take @YK1001 his advice and try to understand and accept what Gus said. Don´t give up, but give it time.

If it helps you to get through to this painful time, by all means, ventilate your despair or frustration. But do it on a personal level, like @Briggs. We all share his pain.

@wishmasterf, your call for a strike is not helping you. It is clear you are angry, we heard you, why are you still screaming?

If you lost confidence in the program, vote with your feet or at least give us a break and come back when you have cooled down. It may sound patronizing, but frankly, you are creating a lot of noise, it is getting beyond tiresome.

People dropping into this thread are getting potentially the wrong idea, due to some of your statements. Please change your attitude.

Thank you.