Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Forever Not Applied.

JeroenM, that last response was not in reply to yours and I didn't notice that there was a next page. I just read your response now, so here is my reply now.

That long response of yours is a massive slap in the face. It takes guts and to an extent a sort of paternal skill to use that particular tone that doesn't come off as ignorant, but instead because you care and you don't want me spiralling into a massive disappointment, for an amalgamation of reasons, but mostly because you know that ambition kills, and that is where I am currently spiralling out of control. Already I've made such a tragic and critical vent to Justine and it broke her heart with my self-belief that I may have done something wrong and at a compounded rate hating myself for it, it's just that no one has told me what I've done wrong. I am extremely receptive to feedback, and although I might seem quite stubborn nor would I take it lightly as I can get sensitive, I mean to do so always in good faith and in respect of everyone else.

Your observations hurt, simply because they are the sincerest of truths. I'm screaming into a void, peering my head closer and closer to a point of no return, and you're just helping me distance myself from the cliff. I'm not going to respond to each of your observations as I tend to do, debunking someone's statements or disagreeing with someone else, because that doesn't help or promote positive discussion. You must have read somewhere or figured it out that I can't distinguish blurred lines and that I strictly and inflexibly prefer just black and white due to my mental nature, but based on our intellectual conversations and discussions, you probably understand me at an advanced level than what most people observe while I converse casually. I also do not understand your 'dripping tap' analogy (I'm bad at those, it's an internal thing).

I have already reached a massive level of depression and inability these past two weeks. If I had other things (like a job) or friends to distract myself with, I wouldn't be in this situation. Back in Ingress days I was erroneously reported for being a location spoofer, and so after that warning I just quit the game because it's so easy to point the finger without repercussions. Now I don't know if I have any sort of marking or investigation/complaint made against me, but I will not let my fragile mind be left for speculation, because then that'll lead to a never ending cycle of self-loathing, etcetera.

So at the beginning of this post when I told you that your post was a massive slap in the face, I only meant it in goodwill, as a reality-check and to redirect my childish ambitions back in form. Time and time again I felt like I had just died, and once again I would have thrown yet a whole aspect of my life into limbo. I wish I could recognise my own value, but as I do, it's overinflated. I will take my leave now and focus on getting better, no matter how long it'll take.

@JeroenM wrote:

I sincerely hope for a quick recovery and wish you all the wisdom and courage it needs to survive this test.

Thank you @JeroenM.

To anyone else experiencing these issues,

Take a break. Don't stop.

Level 10

Re: Forever.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Reinhold Niebuhr

Level 9

Re: Forever.

@Briggs Ok, so i accept the things i can not change. I can not do anything to correct most of the data in my area. Its googles fault, not mine. So i have to stop trying it.

Level 8

Re: Forever Not Applied.

@Briggs

Thank you for your mature response.

With regards to the dripping water, I was trying to say that when for every 10 edits you make one loses x number of edits and when you make  1000 edits, that x is bigger than when you make only 10 edits.

Briggs, I picked up in some of your posts how you like to meditate whilst on a bus or train. As a mindful meditator, I am sure you are familiar with the objective of NOT holding on to certain thoughts. During a Dzogchen meditation course, I was told how people negatively affect their lives by focussing their thoughts on certain negative things in life. If your back hurts and that is all you are thinking off, it will actually hurt more. Zooming out the "camera" of your thoughts the "cinema screen of your mind" is no longer fully filled with that negative thought. Your mind is taking in other information, pushing the back pain to the side of the screen (not dead center and filling the screen). Pan your focus and zoom out!

I am not the first to give you this advice, but you seem to have indeed been focussing too much on your predicament (negative thoughts) and not allowing your movie screen of the mind to be filled with more positive things. You said it yourself, give yourself a break and focus on other things.

As an outsider, it looks like you are suffering from what some might call an Amygdala Hijack. Neuroscience has established great insights in the relationship between the Amygdala and the Hippocampus. By nurturing your Hippocampus you become more resistant to the negative effects of the Amygdala, including Hijacks and stress. Fortunately, it is easy to do so. Getting enough sleep,  eat & drink healthy and most of all exercise have all a huge impact on the health of your Hippocampus. More difficult is rewiring your cognitive processes to block those negative auto responses of the Amygdala (personal algorithms LOL).

I shall send you a PM with a link to a free online course that does a great job explaining it, as promotion is not allowed here.

Please tell me that you are not staying at home because you give map editing a break. Keep walking or perhaps you could test Map navigation on a bike instead?
Flash told us that earned trust scores are different for different things. He said doing lots of type A edits does not give you trust for type B edits. Turning it around, if you have never made navigation edits than maybe, your trust score for those is clean?

@wishmasterf

You and a lot of fellow Local Guides have gotten disappointed (or angry) when their expectations were not met. Some have stopped being a Local Guide because they were angry they no longer got the free Google Drive space, others expected to be paid or demand certain other benefits.

It is easy as an individual LG to think that "Google does not care" and feel unappreciated or treated without respect. Sure there is a lot of room for improvement, but looking at the bigger picture the numbers of daily contributions and users Google is dealing with on a daily basis is mindboggling.

The innovation in AI and the development of Google's applications I find super exciting. It is great to be a part of this technical revolution and make a (small) contribution. Does it sometimes make you feel like a lab-rat? Maybe, but remember the statistics at work here. If the bots allow X bad new places to be allowed on the maps (maybe giving the persons who made those the wrong impression that it is okay to do so) and incorrectly block Y number of legit edit suggestions. But the successful correct decisions (Z) is let's say 90%. When talking about billions of map edits, sure the system get's millions of those decisions wrong. 

Let's say you are a salesperson, working in a call center, do you expect to sell your product with every call you make? If you do, you are in for a big disappointment. It comes with the territory.

This does not make it okay for Google to waste peoples time. Not training us or providing us with concise guidelines and failing to give us constructive feedback/ coaching when we make mistakes. This is setting up many Local Guides for failure. This feedback one can raise in the feedback forum and by posting feedback in the app. On the other hand, screaming, moaning, and affecting the atmosphere in a negative way on Connect is not helpful. (@Briggs this is not directed at you!).

I have seen people stop participating in Connect after they said the negative energy on this platform was not what they opted in for. Please don't be responsible for doing the same to some other Local Guide. Instead, take a step back, change perspective and focus at problem-solving, rather than making yourself a victim.

Okay, that is enough preaching for one day 😉
Take good care!

Level 7

Re: Everything I edit automatically goes to "Not Applied"

@Flash wrote:

Hello,

Can you please try a wide variety of different types of edits on a wide variety of features, both in type of feature and in location?  Do any edits at all go through in that case?

I can't find anything to edit such as hours yet. I did do a test with a friend where our eye center has it's pin in the middle of the highway. I moved it to the building and instantly got rejected and he moved it right after and it was approved. I get credit and points for the edit but it doesn't get applied. Something is very wrong and I need help @Flash

Level 10

@talormanda, this sounds a lot like the problem I discussed here. In my case, though, some edits do go through--about 15% of all map marker moves, compared to 90% until two weeks ago.

Despite what some may say, either something was seriously broken in the last algorithm update, or else GMaps wants to discourage LGs from editing the map.

Connect Moderator

@talormanda, please send me a private message giving me your Gmail account and I will ask Google to check if you have been flagged as a spammer.  Please let me know by posting here that you've done so, I get too many unsolicited messages and thus don't check unless I'm expecting something.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Bls: Everything I edit automatically goes to "Not Applied"

me too, i try fixed many pin place like coffe shop, automotive etc that pinned in the middle of river, but did not accept by gmaps. 😞

wha

Level 7

@Flash wrote:

@talormanda, please send me a private message giving me your Gmail account and I will ask Google to check if you have been flagged as a spammer.  Please let me know by posting here that you've done so, I get too many unsolicited messages and thus don't check unless I'm expecting something.

@Flash -  Done. Subject line = "Not Applied" error every time

Connect Moderator

Thank you, I have forwarded it on to Google.  Either myself or they will get back to you once it's checked.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages