Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Multiple Rejections of Accurate Map Edits

You are confusing me, @deepakjhic.  What is your point?

Level 9

@sputnikjim wrote:

You are confusing me, @deepakjhic.  What is your point?

Are you sure I'm confusing you? Check out your last reply on this post and check out the point in that link. 

@sputnikjim

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 9

Hello @PaulKang

You are a member of Memphis Tennessee local guide community I can see. Why don't you try to ask your question there I hope someone will solve your problem very soon. A nearest local guide can easily move it where you want. Because most of edits based on location setting in local guide program. 

https://plus.google.com/communities/117418643921177326041

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

Memphis is my LG location but I’ll see if anyone else in my region can suggest the edit for the map marker.

Paul Kang
Greater Nashville, Tennessee
Level 10

Re: Forever Not Applied.

As I have said Paul, if I myself can walk through these parks at night, are not gated or closed off during the evenings and there is no private security monitoring these parks in the evenings, I will mark them as open 24 hours. Plenty of them do not have gates, and I myself have been to them personally in the evening, especially during my portal-hunting days.

Also how would there be any harm in second-guessing the behind-the-scenes algorithms when they're outright second-guessing me and my contributions? There is no news yet about any changes or work done as of yet. So I will continue as I please.

Level 8

If it comforts you, I can also make no changes for some time.
- Change or replace names no longer works
- Add phone number is no longer
- add homepage is no longer synonymous
- Add location is no longer.

+ Delete the location.

Now I write the correct homepage and name below under review.

Here is an example where I wrote it down below:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Psychotherapeutische+Praxis/@49.5941946,8.6513006,17z/data=!3m1!4b...

If I can not change anything, I can also stop being local guides.

Greetings Ulrich

Level 9

It looks like, Google does not care about us and also does not care about that maps wipl be a big mess in future. Is there a plan to finish the project? It looks like....

Level 8

Dear Briggs,

I am following this “diary” of yours and I think you are heading for a big disappointment. Let me begin by summarizing my observations:

1. Your Not Applied score increased dramatically and you stated this did not occur gradually but “overnight”.
  2. Google officials have confirmed that you are not listed as a spammer.
  3. Google officials have checked the algorithms and said they work as they are supposed to.
    1. You focus on a hypothesis that the algorithm might have changed. You claim it is happening to a lot of other people (by linking their threads) yet with 50+ million Local Guides there is no evidence that this is affecting a lot of people.
    2. Perhaps the algorithm is only affecting certain people? If so, you may ask yourself, how do I differ from your average “Joe Local Guide”?
  4. You are demanding results/ change in your predicament and by doing so you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
    1. With 50+ million Local Guides and much more contributors to Maps that are not Local Guides, you cannot expect to be treated as an individual.
    2. If you believe in an edit that got instantly Not Applied, use the feedback feature. It may be a slow procedure, but at least you are building a record linked to your account. Sharing a spreadsheet here is useful and great for personal monitoring, but not the official funnel to get your individual rejected edits on record.
  5. Perhaps your trust score got hit, instead of assuming the trust score one needs in your area got higher.
    1. When making a large number of edits/ contributions you are at higher risk to make more mistakes/ bad edits. All it needs is one misunderstanding of a certain mapping rule, make that type of error X number of times and you lost your trust score (for that type of edit).
    2. Another hypothesis is that somebody reported you, including somebody like the restaurant owner that chased you out for being a competitor. If so, the investigations related to such claims can take a very long time. Who is to say, that the algorithm is opting for caution until proven innocent?
  6. Also, seldom in life are things clear cut black and white. Your list of Not Applied edits is most likely a mix of reasons. Some reasons to consider.
    1. Could not be verified (there are no trusted sources to verify your suggestion);
    2. Suspected Copyright (based on your behavior when Google doubts your sources);
    3. False Negatives (we know the system is not perfect, accept a margin)
    4. Circumstantial (e.g. where a higher trusted source contains bad info)
    5. Data connection issues (e.g. the address of the listing is not registered correctly in the system).

Now your rejected edit suggestions inventory might look high compared to mine, but then you have made many more edit suggestions than I have. Simply saying I have x number of unfairly rejected edits, makes no sense without further context. In other words, if you have one dripping tap at home, the total water loss is not hurting you. But if you have a house full of dripping taps, it all adds up...

If point 6 is indeed the reason for your predicament, what are the chances of Google sharing this information with you? Personally, I think the answer is zero.

My advice to you is to focus on regaining your trust score. Risk assess your edits before you make them, temper your ambitions and perhaps focus on a few edits per day at each location in person.

Watch those type 7.1 edits now your trust score might be low.

Also, sorry if this hurts, but here is some insight. Ambition is great. It can make people achieve more and can be a great motivator. But ambition can also be negative. People have killed themselves for it.

Accept that you are most likely not going to reach that milestone of the next LG level before the new year. It does not make you less of a hero or legend here in our community. You are a highly-respected member of our community and like others have said, your standards admirable and your contributions to the community with your tips, thoughts, and analysis highly valued. We do not want to see you drop-out our community at the end of the month because you are disappointed or angry based on unrealistic expectations.

I sincerely hope for a quick recovery and wish you all the wisdom and courage it needs to survive this test.

JeroenM

Level 9

@JeroenM To fill out a feedback form is jot a practical way. Fill out a form needs so much time. Why there is not a button "report" to mark a problem?

These are so many in my are, you need more than 1 full-time-job to work on all feedbacks i generate.

I am the Community Manager of a small Community with about 70 members. I onow about 5 guys stopped working as LGs because of this problems. I dont think we are a special area. If you count it on the whole world, you probably get to 3.5 million who have already stopped.

You think thats a small group of people?

Level 10

There is comfort in shared despair. It just splits the burden and disappointment between all of us.

It's been over two weeks now and I'm still finding great difficulty in simplistic edits. They're not rocket science, but I just wish there was more communication between things, you know?

Local Guides have a strong tendencies of knowing their surrounding community and unparalleled knowledge far more than any field officer from Google can know. If you can verify and prove a local guide's heart and intention so be it! If they step over the line even the slightest once, cull them. Have them swear an oath that they won't spam. Don't just leave them in the dark not being able to do something that they used to. It's like giving a diver a whole bunch of equipment and then telling them dive into a volcano.

I'm still waiting.