Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Re: Could not be verified

Hi @Briggs and all,

First of all, thank you very much for sharing with us your examples and feedback.

Every edit you submit to Google Maps is like a snowflake, very unique. As @Flash said, your account is not blacklist otherwise every edit you've made would be automatically denied and you wouldn't be part of the Local Guides program anymore 😉

Once you click "submit" a lot of information goes through our pipelines to analyze what has been submitted, where, who submitted and also what has been done before (the so called "trust score") and to stop some users that try to take advantage of Google Maps, we have an algorithm to stop edit with suspicious behavior from being published.  This algorithm is always changing to evolve with the latest trends we see - regionally and also worldwide - so in case you noticed a change in the behavior of your edits, this is indeed our algorithm doing some work.

But Gus... there're A LOT of Local Guides impacted! Something must be changed now!

We closely monitor the spam levels of edits on Maps, specially when changes are applied to the algorithm to make sure we are only preventing potential bad user and/or edits from the map and as said before, this is something that we keep evolving. When the levels are high, we analyze the data, dig deeper to check, re-check, triple check to make the edits and user that are not being published are correct and if there's something off, we will adjust. 

So to summarize, we take a lot of information into account when you submit and it there's billions of reason we may reject an edit. So don't take it personal when some of your edits are not being published, this is simply the algorithm working to make sure we have a a community of good mappers and content around the world (and when this changes happens LGs are may be affected in one way or another, but it's all part of being part of a community of a Map is is constantly changing ).

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Connect Moderator

Adding unnamed toilets is not something for us to debate.  It is Google's decision.  You are free to submit feedback within Maps.  Google is constantly adding new features and options to the map.

Adding unnamed washrooms is not a new thought, it has been brought up in the forums for almost a decade.

The way the database works is that point features without a name do not get labels on the map nor do they show up in searches.  They are thus not to be added.

The rule for no descriptors is what keeps people from adding "Pretty Flowers" to the map and every individual component of a place already on the map.  It's necessary to create a reasonable limit on what is mapped.

And yes, postal boxes are not to be on the map either.

I'm afraid I cannot continue this discussion further; @JeroenM was able to provide you the reason for your denials right from the beginning and we're always willing to explain further, but since the rules of the map are not determined by us then at this point we have exhausted the topic and I do need to help other people.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

@wishmasterf

Please search the forums. There are multiple posts on Connect that clearly state that mailboxes are not mappable. The same can be said for most vending machines or potholes. 
If you like to map potholes, use Waze. If you like to map mailboxes, use My Maps. You probably find that your local post service does have a map with all their mailboxes marked on Maps. 

How do you they do this? By using the Maps API they generate a Google Maps with a custom layer created by a KML file that marks all the mailboxes. If this KML file is downloadable, you can add it to your own Maps app.

Level 9

Thats all ok, but how we can get better if no one tells us, what was the reason?

Level 8

Re: Forever Not Applied.

@Briggs wrote:

No more posts from me until a solution is found and Google Maps will start reviewing ALL OF TODAY'S REJECTED EDITS and accept new ones again.

@JeslynL @YK1001 @PaulPavlinovich

P.S. I'm really sorry for my vulgarity and venting out my frustration, but when you lose the ability and capability of doing one of your favourite hobbies, it's heartbreaking you know?

No more bumping from me.

I share your frustration.

Well, I used to.

I stopped being concerned with LG/GoogleMaps glitches.

i feel much better now.

Level 9

I think, if we now delete all thing you tell me which are not "mapable" (whatever that means..) gmaps will be very unuseable.

Many POIs names are only a description sometimes including a location. Some examples here in Austria:

postboxes

police offices

toilets

post offices

embassy

stations of public transportations

mailboxes

main stadions

All these examples have adress, website and phone number (yes also the mailbox).

I am sorry to say that but most of the local guides and google itself do not care about that rule, for good reasons.

Connect Moderator

You are mixing "proper names that also happen to be descriptions" in with "descriptors used to replace the fact that there is no proper name".  Most of the features you are describing have proper names and thus are fine on the map.  It is a distinction that tens of thousands of mappers have understood, so I'm sure you can too.

Again, this is not debatable.  I would encourage you to expend your energy instead towards learning what is permitted on the map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 8

Hi @wishmasterf,

Please look at all this in a more structured way.

First of all, we have Features that should never put on Maps by us Local Guides - no matter how they are named, where they are, etc.

On the other end, for perfectly Mappable Features, they still need to be Mapped correctly.  How to Name it, how to put the Place Marker, how to structure the Address correctly, what Phone numbers can be put into the place, what Website can be associated, etc.

If you follow the discussions in the Mapping your World board closely, you will find out that POIs are not to be "deleted" lightly - unless they are beyond any possible repair.  (Still as a Local Guide, how can we delete a POI using Maps?  My best guess is mark as never existed, or as duplicates.)

So please do not think Mappable POIs that are not up to standard should be all simply removed from Maps.  We should look at how to fixed them first.

Level 9

I never thought about deleting anything. As you read in this threat, moderators told me, that most of the examples i found should have been deleted because they are "not mapable".

I want to find i out, whats the correct way. As i know now, gmaps is a big mess, because man POIs do not fit to Google rules.

Post Offices are called Postamt (Post Office) and the city or district nothing else. This is not on a sign and not the company name. As i learned now, that there is no way to name it a usable way and follow the rules. Same Situation with mailboxes, Toilets and many other places.

I am very frustrated now. My motivation to work as Local Guide is very low now.

Connect Moderator

What you were told was that public washrooms without a unique name shouldn't be on the map.  You have extrapolated that.

The name of the post office would appear to be Österreichische Post.  Is someone searches "city + Postamt"; the category and location will cause them to be shown the proper result.  There is a way to add a common name as an additional name, but additional names are not available in Maps and in this case are unnecessary.

Police stations are the same, you use the name of the police force.

But yes, toilets and mailboxes are not to be mapped.  You commented yourself that no category could be found for a mailbox; that right there was a big indicator.  To be mapped an item not only needs a proper name, but it also needs an appropriate category.  The lack of a category is often the indicator that it's not appropriate on the map.