Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Forever Not Applied.

Okay okay I need to desperately know what's going on with my account. For the past day, every single edit that I have made, whether it's adding a place, editing the name, or even moving the map marker ever so slightly has ridiculously come back as NOT APPLIED.

It used to be good enough, that I would get emails "Thanks for the edit to __________" even in places I'm not even near. But now probably 90% of my edits since yesterday afternoon are being instantly rejected. This is a blatant outrage and I'm getting incredibly frustrated.

Some examples of the things being rejected are:

- ST John Vianney's Primary to St John Vianney's Primary

- Moving the map marker to a more appropriate location (e.g. to the building instead of being on the street)

- Moving the map marker to the appropriate place within a shopping centre's indoor map.

- Putting in the correct shop category, from 'Establishment POI' (blank)

- Editing the name as per guidelines that I've constantly raved about all this time. I've used to just get pending edits but now it's immediately not applied.

Most of the time I would get the email that it would be reviewed by the Google to, or better yet the map marker would instantly be accepted since they're small, but valuable edits. Do you want someone trying to find a beauty salon to be led to the other side of the station or into an undisclosed back alley way? I don't think so.

If all you reviewers are at the summit and therefore classing EVERYTHING as NOT APPLIED, at least tell us before putting the Google Maps API on holiday? I need to know what exactly I'm doing wrong, because if you're not going to accept ANY of my edits I become a very frustrated person who really wants to do the right thing and making edits on the fly, and they're massive ditches away from really trusting your users like you would want to.

Tell me what I did wrong, and remove me at this instant from this ludicrous blacklist or whatever what is causing this high rate of rejections before I remove myself from this system issue-infested, hypothetical program.

Seven Hills, New South Wales, Australia
770 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Forever Not Applied.

[UPDATE 12/12/2017]  The team has been working hard since this issue was first identified — here in Connect — and thanks to your examples, we not only found the problem but are pleased to share that a fix has been implemented. More information in this post

[UPDATE 12/8/17]  I wanted to provide a updated that we continue to work on a release of a new algorithm. We are doing our final testing and making sure everything is working and before it get released so you should be able to see some improvement in the next few days. I also understand how frustrating the experience has been in the past weeks and greatly appreciate all the patience and the feedback you all have been providing to us so far.

Although I understand that semantically speaking "Solution accepted" wouldn't be best action, this feature is to highlight important updates for people who are interested in the topic (who may have posted or not) and won't have to go through all 66 pages of comments to see that some of progress are being done. So with the entire community in mind, we'd like to maintain the "Solution accepted" on but as promised, I'll keep everyone updated on our progress.

[ORIGINAL POST 11/22/17]

Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you very much for raising to us the issue of denied edits and everyone who’s been posting examples of their denied edits over the course of the past weeks.

A recent update of our algorithms has caused us to disproportionately deny mapping contributions from some of our most active contributors, many of whom are Local Guides. We understand that this is a frustrating experience for those who contribute and those who see an outdated map.

Based on all of the examples shared in Local Guides Connect, we have identified the source of the problem and our team is actively working on fixing this issue.  You should see a return to normal service when the fix is rolled out in the coming weeks.

We are committed to constantly improving our algorithms based on your feedback and the trends we see. Thank you for your patience and for helping us make a better Google Maps for everyone.

We will keep you updated on this thread and thank you for your patience.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Level 10

To reiterate, all of these edits are being made in multiple places, in places that I've been, and new places that I explore around Sydney on a regular basis.

But this is now appalling to rejected for edits that I have historically made in the past, and similarly on other days. I almost had at least a 96% acceptance rate (estimated) when it comes to making approved, valuable edits but today when 44 out of 52 edits come back as immediately not applied, it's very similar to being backstabbed, and that is probably one of the worst feelings ever to come across.

I know you might not share the same sentiment or even atrocity as I might make this out to be right now, but for someone with my sort of OCD and mentality, this hurts big time.

Level 10

Tell me if there is anything that offends you more than not being able to do the things that were previously so easy to accomplish.

These screenshots offend me so much I can't bear to make any more righteous edits until further notice. The lack of trust is absolutely boisterous.

Screenshot_20171011-155811~2.png

Screenshot_20171011-164810~2.png

Screenshot_20171011-164819~2.png

How can I make my local area a better place if the system doesn't think I'm doing good things? Why am I being thanked for making these edits that will be rejected instantly? Why can't I make the simplest, harmless edit because the system is in pain right now? I can't classify a Japanese eatery as a Japanese Restaurant? I can't move the place into a building instead of staying on the street? What sort of mockery is this?

I REQUEST ALL MANUAL REVISIONS OF THESE EDITS. And I will no longer make edits until further notice until this disgusting circus of Google Maps is over.

Level 10

I am a Level 9 Local Guide.

I have made 5000 approved edits previously to this charade. There used to be a phase where all my edits while I was in a place called Fairfield in NSW were all revised as pending during one of my travels. I didn't think of it highly at the time, but then many of them came back as unapplied. So I thought, okay, maybe it's a region Google can't really verify (even though Smithfield, Cabramatta and Merrylands, all neighbouring suburbs were all very much easily approved).

But TODAY especially from yesterday evening, EVERY SINGLE EDIT IS NOW BEING NOT APPLIED. What is causing this? I know I shouldn't be spamming the forums by bumping this post back up over and over again, but I guess this will be my last one. I can't put forward a map marker edit, I can't correct a capitalised name, for all it seems I can only mark a place as closed or open, and even that would be pending too.

In fact, I'm just gonna take a break from Google Maps and being a Local Guide now, until a moderator or a Googler can give a valid explanation as to why I can't make any more edits without being instantly not applied. Wouldn't that be the most frustrating thing in the planet?

No more posts from me until a solution is found and Google Maps will start reviewing ALL OF TODAY'S REJECTED EDITS and accept new ones again.

@JeslynL @YK1001 @PaulPavlinovich

P.S. I'm really sorry for my vulgarity and venting out my frustration, but when you lose the ability and capability of doing one of your favourite hobbies, it's heartbreaking you know?

No more bumping from me.

Level 8

You are not alone, @Briggs.  I feel it personally.  I am sure lots of us LGs do.

Level 10

@YK1001,

Map marker edits are effectively the easiest edits to complete. Name ones are a bit harder, but are not too complex. Do you know if anyone else has this same issue? I really hope I'm not the only one.

I called Google Support for a callback and they advised me to do a data restore of my phone, and so I did...

Only for more to not be applied.Screenshot_20171011-174636~2.png

This is definitely a software, API issue that I hope I am not alone in. Can anyone else confirm by making a simple edit?

Level 7

@Briggs wrote:

@YK1001,

This is definitely a software, API issue that I hope I am not alone in. Can anyone else confirm by making a simple edit?

Adding a place, moving marker, mark as closed etc work fine for me!

Level 9

this happend with me also @Briggs , i think there are some improvements to the map :))) don't take it personally you are a wonderful member 

Level 9

Happening a lot to me too, and interestingly enough, also in Sydney (I'm from here but don't live here currently; back for a visit). Completely verifiable things like adding phone numbers, place creation for which I have every piece of info down to a (non-Facebook!) website... it's not 100% of what I'm submitting but it's close, and it's weird, and it's frustrating. Came here for answers and haven't found any but maybe it's a glitch?

Level 10

I would like to know if this might be a glitch. Hopefully we will be able to get more answers regarding this.

In that case Kathryn, let's see if any other Sydneysiders who make edits are having any issues as well. It might be just Sydney but I don't have enough sample space to make deductions.

I'm at an Indian restaurant right now, and it's classified as a dessert restaurant. I got an immediately Not Applied for trying to correctly classify it (I'm even on consultation with the manager for this), and can't even rename or change the map marker surrounding restaurants to get even a Pending or approval. All automatically rejected.

I'm afraid this might have to halt my Sydney conquest until further notice. I'm in Castle Hill, a new place I've visited but this is fruitless to try and edit everywhere I go for consistency if nothing works out. Only photos, but now I'm not even sure if they'll be approved once uploaded.

Hoping for a quick response.

Sincerely.