JessY's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Feature request: list of reviewed places in 'Your places'

Intro
As local guides, we review many places. And friends often come to us for advice on which great places to go to, mainly Restaurants, Bars and Cafes (in my case).

Issue
The issue is that the more you review, the harder it gets to pinpoint a specific location you have reviewed and consequently to recommend it.

Current Situation
One could say that you only need to scroll down the 'REVIEWS' tab in 'Your contributions'. However, this is not practical due to:
a) significant loading time at the end of each (loaded) 'page',
b) chronological order making it harder to find older reviews.

Idea
Therefore, I would find it very useful, in 'Your places', to have a section called 'REVIEWED'. It would show a list of all the places we have contributed to.
Ideally, it could be visible on the map and filterable by:
- Rating: ️, ️, ️, ️,
- Type of contribution: review &/or photo
- Category: Restaurant, School, Cafe, Shopping Mall, Bar, Grocery Store, Clothing Store, Home Goods Store, Electronics Store, Hospital, Bank, Supermarket, Gym, Doctor, Gas Station, ATM, Corporate Office, Pharmacy, Hotel, Museum, Movie Theather, Night Club.

Quick draft (made with the best image editing application ever: Paint)
Here's what it could look like with the Rating filter only.
Clicking a place would open it on Google Maps, as it does in any other list.

The list could possibly be shown/hidden on our map (it would need a distinctive icon so that it does not get too messy).

Your Places - REVIEWED.png

Is Google aware?
I had the great opportunity to discuss this subject with our group made of Local Guides lvl5 and Google Maps Engineers and Developers during NYC event on Jan 12.

Let me know what you think, if you would find it useful or how you would see it.

JessyY

Wanna have a look at my lvl5 Local Guide profile or my new food-focused Instagram?

New York, NY, United States
6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 7
Solution

Re: Feature request: list of reviewed places in 'Your places'

Thanks for the writeup! Definitely going to be working on this soon 👍😊

View solution in original post

Googler

Thanks for sharing this feedback here on Connect and with how you'd like to see it too, @JessY. As I shared in person at the event, sharing feedback like this on Connect is awesome because it lets others share if they think a feature would be helpful and how they would use it, too, so that we may share more widely with the teams here at Google Maps who make things happen.  I am personally a super-organized person and would love it.

It was nice to meet you and I hope to see you at an upcoming meet-up. 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 9
Level 9

Very good. It might also encourage LGs to use the full range of star options instead of almost always 1star or 5stars

Level 7
Solution

Thanks for the writeup! Definitely going to be working on this soon 👍😊

Level 7

@PhilipF wrote:

Very good. It might also encourage LGs to use the full range of star options instead of almost always 1star or 5stars

Hi PhilipF, is that something you often see?

I can usually see ratings from the full range, a lot of 3 and 4.

When you review, the App advices you to give the following rating: 1 Hated / 2 Disliked / 3 Ok / 4 Liked / 5 Loved

I personally mostly give 3 and 4, way too many 4 in my opinion (I usually check reviews before going to a place so there's a great chance I'd at least like the place)

5 is only when the place could not be any better

2 is for when it's Bad

1 is for Awful and I (fortunately) almost never had to review those.

JessyY

Wanna have a look at my lvl5 Local Guide profile or my new food-focused Instagram?

Level 8

@JessY

Hi Jessy,

I would like to compliment on the presentation of your feature requests. In my view, the best example of presentation I have seen so far. BIG kudos for that. In addition, I love both your ideas that you posted here in relation to one another and I am pleased to see that we already have a motivated Google techy looking into it 😉 Thanks @ZachM.

Greetings from Spain, Jeroen

Level 9

Hey JessyY,

Definitely a Kudos on your well thought-out ideas. I had simply been thinking that Google Maps should load up (on landing) a similar map to what Facebook used to offer - one with all the places you have checked into. There is a numeral (representing how many photos you have taken at that place) and when you zoom in, it shows the exact place and loads up the photos you have taken / tagged at that location. That way, we can refer to photos of our experiences to our friends that we are showing.

Wendy