Przemo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

[Feature request] Opening/Closing roads to traffic

Hi, 

Last week I was on vacances in Schwarzwald (Germany).

All this time I used Google Maps as a navigation – terrible experience.

Some roads (passable in reality) are marked as closed in Google Maps; many closed roads (due to reconstruction) are marked as passable in Google Maps (most of this was regional highways). When I need to turn back in this region, it means extra a dozen kilometers (× 3-4 times per day). And every time Google Maps stubbornly leads to the place where I turned back.
Therefore I have two ideas:

Feature request 1:

In navigation mode, when the driver goes a road, that was not suggested by driving directions, Google Maps should ask

"Why do you change the route?"

answers to select by driver:

1. the road is closed 
  2. my route is better  😉
  3. the road is one way (wrong way)
  4. the turn is prohibited

If more GMaps users send the answer (1, 3 or 4), Google should automatically close the road (or turn) on Maps.

(The question can be asked after reaching the destination)
I know, that GMaps users can edit the parameters of a roads. I know that Local Guides
can "Check the facts". But above feature should increase number of edits and it make Gmaps updated

Feature request 2:

In navigation mode, when the driver goes a road, that is marked as closed in GMaps, the Google Maps should ask:

"Is this road closed now?"

answers to select by driver:

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Not sure

It should increase people's number who actively corrects the road network (and driving directions)

(The question can be asked after reaching the destination)

In towns many foodpaths don't existing in Google Maps, so it gives wrong directions for pedestrians (loooonger way).

Feature request 3:

can you finally add a roads/paths editing tool that really works???

Over year ago, when you switched-off MapMaker Google promised that all features from MapMaker will moved to GMaps.

It is very sorry to say, but the report of new road doesn't work!

Example: two months ago I reported new expressway in Poland (bypass of Legnica, 27 km long). It is very good visible on satellite View https://goo.gl/maps/gwhyFj7oTrM2, but not on Google Maps https://goo.gl/maps/x5J4wAviZmn .

It is very very annoying when half of my reports (of road problems) goes into black hole.

Previous week (me and friends from Polish GMaps forum), we need few hours to draw it in Google MyMaps (see: that there are also layers "items to be renamed" and "items to be removed") – I belive that it helps GMaps Editors... 

The expressway is of course available in other community driven maps (OSM and Waze).

Regards

:-Przemo.