EdmundasJ's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Feature request: Mark new road by using it

Hi!

First of all, I really hope Local Guides will receive an option to mark missing roads and buildings.

Before that I wish to request a feature that would be truly useful first for the staff of Google and also for Local Guides in the future.

Requested feature: allow Local Guides to map new roads/pathways by driving/walking on it. Imagine if there is a new pathway in the park or forest and it is not visible from satelite imagery. So one could turn your Google Maps app GPS tracking and start mapping that new pathway by simply walking it from one end to another. With the help of GPS it would be a truly fast way to map new roads and pathways.

2 comments
Level 8

Re: Feature request: Mark new road by using it

@EdmundasJ

Hi,
I think your idea is great, but  suspect that the quality of most GPS devices is not accurate enough to implement your idea.
Having said that, I recently had a similar though after I had to change the direction of traffic for a street in my hometown. The city council had changed the one-way-street system in a certain area, so I made the edit as Local Guide. The last time I looked, it was still pending. Surely with the tracking and AI-technology going on at Google, it should be easy to wire the tracking data to the auto-verification process to check this particular kind of edit.

I guess I should suggest that in a different post, as I am going off topic here 😉

Greetings, Jeroen

Edit: I made my new thread here

Level 6

Re: Feature request: Mark new road by using it

Hi! 

As it ist possible in Waze, which is also based on Google Maps, why isn't it possible to enter new roads in "the original"? It shouldn't be that big problem. 🙂 

@JeroenM wrote:

@EdmundasJ

Hi,
I think your idea is great, but  suspect that the quality of most GPS devices is not accurate enough to implement your idea.
Having said that, I recently had a similar though after I had to change the direction of traffic for a street in my hometown. The city council had changed the one-way-street system in a certain area, so I made the edit as Local Guide. The last time I looked, it was still pending. Surely with the tracking and AI-technology going on at Google, it should be easy to wire the tracking data to the auto-verification process to check this particular kind of edit.

I guess I should suggest that in a different post, as I am going off topic here 😉

Greetings, Jeroen