iyudhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Feature request - Follow a Local Guide?

I just thought this after seeing a few Local Guides travelling to cool places. I kept thinking, man it would be nice it I get updates whenever this person makes a review on this place. So maybe if there's a 'Follow' button on each of Local Guides' profile (which can be disabled by user), so the follower gets notified when the Local Guide writes a review. It can be per profile overall, or for a specific city/ location.

Just an idea of course 🙂

17 comments
Level 7

Re: Feature request - Follow a Local Guide?

Exactly the same idea i was thinking... even more why not to follow also different places... so if i love that restaurant and i want to be notified of all comments or new pictures... that could be fantastic 😄

Level 10

If this ever happened it would definitely need a notification delay to prevent stalking...

MapMaker forum: http://goo.gl/6e5Kv9 :: Maps forum: http://goo.gl/Xy2G79 :: Give Kudos for great content!
Connect Moderator

That's a good point @Keith A. Privacy is definitely going to be the biggest challenge here.

Googler

Thanks for sharing this feedback which I'll share with the team (as always!). 🙂

I think I'd personally want the ability to turn off this feature or only select it for particular places so that say @iyudhi doesn't get a notification when I review a gas station. While my review of a gas station is certainly helpful, I am 99.9% sure Ivan wouldn't want to know about it. Additionally, it helps alleviate any concerns about location information.

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

Haha yes I agree @TraciC. There are definitely things that should be considered. Implementation is the key here.

Level 7

Daily notification by default, the possibility of turning off this by the person that is reviewing... that could be the best way, but definetly I think this is a feature that could engage more and more people using Google Maps

Level 7

By the way... other apps like Foursquare, Facebook, Swarm... they push the notifications in the moment

Level 8

Or perhaps see all the places that the guide has left a review of 4 or higher. That way trip planning could be so much easier!

This is how I see it happening:

• I type in a city I'm going to
  • Google shows me all my contacts that have visited that city and left reviews
  • I ask it to show me all the places with 4 or higher stars by my contacts OR I can also select it by person
  • And then show it to me by category like food, exploring, monuments, cafes, etc.

Thoughts? 🙂

Level 8

To add to this idea because I love it so much 🙂

It would be good know what people are "experts" in so that my decision process to follow someone could be easier. For example, some people have inclinations towards cafes or perhaps are vegetarian (like me 🙂 ) then I would follow them based on my interests.