Piehti's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Feature Request "Suggest new Category"

Hi folks!

I know it's required to keep the map clean and that it's neccessary to prevent that everyone can create categories at his own will...

But I'm pretty often confronted with the question "is this a good category for [...]" and I think: "NOPE". And then I open the details of the business and can clearly see, why someone has the new category applyed. The reason? Because the old one was even more stupid! That's it. 😛

So I'm missing a "Suggest a better catergory"-Button in the Screen where you approve or decline categories for a business. You should be able to suggest a better suiting category with a comment explaining WHY you think, your category is better and then let it be judged by a G-Worker or the community somehow.

I think that would be a good thing, to grand every place / business a fitting category.

I – for example – think it's pretty stupid, that in Germany any "Zigarettenautomat" is branded with the category "Zigarrenhändler" ("cigar dealer / cigar shop"), even though there is this one and only word for it: "Zigarettenautomat". Since every person would look for "Zigarettenautomat" and not "Zigarrenhändler", it would be a good think let people suggest categorys which may fit better. It would be pretty annoying to open a post every time you need a better category, no?

In addition: You might want add this feature to any "Is [...] correct?"-question!

Regards,

Piehti

Mannheim, Deutschland
4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 7
Solution

Re: Feature Request "Suggest new Category"

Hey @Piehti, I defientely like your idea and I believe it would be very helpful.

Just thinking if adding this question to all 'Is [...] correct?' questions would be the best place. As probably 9 out of 10 places do have a correct category. So if we will be asking everyone if this restaurant is a restaurant, then people may get a bit annoyed 🙂

However, how about adding a new button 'Suggest a new category' to the place 'Suggest an edit' option, as per below mock-up? 

p.s. the below printscreen is another example where a better category is needed. The current category is 'Shoe Shop', whereas even on the shop sign itself it calls out the category 'School Outfitters' (first green arrow) 🙂

IMG_6253.JPG

Ivan London 

View solution in original post

Level 7
Solution

Hey @Piehti, I defientely like your idea and I believe it would be very helpful.

Just thinking if adding this question to all 'Is [...] correct?' questions would be the best place. As probably 9 out of 10 places do have a correct category. So if we will be asking everyone if this restaurant is a restaurant, then people may get a bit annoyed 🙂

However, how about adding a new button 'Suggest a new category' to the place 'Suggest an edit' option, as per below mock-up? 

p.s. the below printscreen is another example where a better category is needed. The current category is 'Shoe Shop', whereas even on the shop sign itself it calls out the category 'School Outfitters' (first green arrow) 🙂

IMG_6253.JPG

Ivan London 

Level 8

Howdy @IvanLondon!

Thanks for picking up the idea!

I think we missunderstood a bit. I didn't want to ask again for any category, but in the screen where people agree or decline a category anyway. There I would have added a small "+" or something.

BUT: I actually wasn't that deep into the implementation, just wanted to started the thinking about it. 😉

I actually think, your idea is a good one.

I'd like to add one thought: The "Suggest a new category"-Button should be only visible, if one types in the desired category and it wasn't found (and maybe was found in some kind of dictionary, to prevent people from abusing / annoyingly use of that feature – for spam e.G.)

Why:

a) It would make the people to have a look FIRST if there was something (better) fitting – so they could eventually remakeup their minds and pick the existing category instead.

b) It would prevent overreactions a bit, just because the category isn't fitting the own will best – maybe.

c) I think it would reduce in any case the generation of categories, which should be kept decent and in a common understanding of all users.

No? Thanks for supporting the thought. I will come up with some other UI / UX / Preventing-Features the next days. U might want to have an eye on that one to and help out.

Cheers

Piehti

(Edit: I'd actually like to KUDO or even accept as a best solution for now, but can't... not working... will fetch that up later: Thanks!)

Level 10

I think categories are a whole can of worms.. e.g. in Canada we have Labor Unions, Labor Relations Attorneys, but Labour Club. Not to mention Bathrooms & Washrooms as categories.

Honestly I think categories should be user specific, e.g. if a person in Germany, that travel to Canada, then the categories in Canada should match the user's German preference.

I am sure Google is working on it somehow 🙂

Level 8

'zup again!

Since you too seem to be a solution orientated person, you might want to spend some brain power on this one: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/Feature-Request-Unnamed-MCP-Feat...

I think this is (one of) the major issues to solve in the near future, or Google Local Guide will be ruled and abused by certain people how are just name-juggling and recategorizing to death for level boosts of their accounts, to create armys of high level guides within a week.

Regards,

Piehti