JedR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [Feature Request] - Please remove download image feature here in LGC

As I said, my apologies, and I'll repeat, mea culpa, I thought you meant photos in both forum and Maps - because even if download in forums was disabled, a photo on Maps can be shared and embedded?

@JEd LesterR wrote:

But did you consider reading the content of the review first?

If a map user clicks on a business then clicks on the photos, there is no indication that any photo has a connected review so chances are they'd never know. It's different if they read the reviews because there's a thumbnail of a connected photo, it just doesn't happen the other way around. Either way, photos in Maps should be stand alone and not require clarification by reference to a review.

Level 8

normally i upload most of my images as " CC-AU4-BY-NC-ND" so i don't mind the download button

however if anyone want to add a watermark (small one ) i think its a good idea 

Former Google Contributor

@NalinK @JedR @Pea @PeterGO @PaulPavlinovich 

Regarding Google Maps photo policy on watermarks (vs photos here in Connect): "Any content that contains advertising or excessive promotional content within imagery, captions, or comments will be removed. Small, discreet copyright notices (such as a business name or logo) are allowed. Email addresses and phone numbers cannot be included in your images. Acceptable attribution must be limited to the bottom 10% of photos and the bottom 36º (bottom 20%) of photo spheres."

"Stylistic adjustments (such as applied filters) are acceptable, provided that these stylistic changes are minimal and are not appended elements such as borders, text, collaged images, etc."

More Google Maps photo policies

Level 9

Hi @Corrie,

After reviewing all the comments above -till the moment-. I think I will combine what you and @JedR suggested.

Please note that most of local guides on this community will have a difficulty to read/receive your suggestion about the watermark, and to apply it. That would be an extra effort, which they might not know exactly how to apply, and worst, might discourage them from writing new posts or adding those photos, because they feel their photos are not protected!

So my suggestion is that, for any photo uploaded, a system algorithm could be triggered to resize photos to the pixels of a computer screen only a maximum -not the full original size!-. And only a local guide who uploaded the photo could re-download the photo with the original maximum size. Also, I would highly recommend restricting the downloading feature to local guides registered on the community only.

I would argue much about the acceptable justification to enable this feature to anyone, but if at least the above is applied, that would protect the rights of local guides, and basically photographers.

Finally, I think showing a clear download icon -arrow down- would encourage more users to download the picture, without the real need to do so! Alternatively, if such option listed in three-dots drop down menu (), it could be enough only for those really interested in downloading a photo.

I would love to see what other local guides also think. But I think the above points should make local guides feel protected

Note: I think the same should apply to Google Maps uploaded photos.