JedR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[Feature Request] - Please remove download image feature here in LGC

I think it would be better if Local Guides Connect do not allow strangers to download the photos uploaded by other members of this community. This request is to protect the originality of each photos posted here and to prevent plagiarism. Other user might use each of our photos to their web contents/blogs/etc without any credits. Photographers will be happy to share their photos here if they're protected. 

Download button can be seen at the bottom right of the pictureDownload button can be seen at the bottom right of the picture

Bonifacio Global City, Taguig, NCR, Philippines
13 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: [Feature Request] - Please remove download image feature here in LGC

@JedR Thanks for sharing this feedback. I would love to hear what other members of the community think about this feature. A user could always screen capture the image if they really wanted it even if we removed the download function. Many photographers use a small watermark and/or don't upload high resolution versions of their work if they are worried about image theft on the internet in general. 

Connect Moderator

I'm fine with it @Corrie my images are all CC-AU4-BY-NC-ND so poeple can download all they want. Commercial photogs who actually make money off their images may want to be more restrictive but I doubt most people care much. Note you can also download them from Google Maps.

Regards

Paul

Level 9
Level 9

@CorrieD wrote:

Many photographers use a small watermark 

@Corrie What's the rule on photo signatures? One could imagine it being abused as a subtle form of spamming, a cheap way to get a name spread round town.

@JEd LesterR wrote:

Other user might use each of our photos to their web contents/blogs/etc 

If you post a photo which is clearly of a specific business, it's perhaps less likely someone will want to use it elsewhere. I think there maybe an issue with photos that are rather more artistic in nature. Regarding the photo above, I think we need to ask the question that is always important when posting photos on Maps: Does this help the map user understand what this place looks like? If not then it probably shouldn't be on the map.

Level 9

@Corrie

Oh great. You've got a point there. Yes I agree that having a watermark can protect the photo and yes other users can make a way to steal a photo. Maybe I just felt that having a download button here means encouraging people to download photo of anyone. I mean, this is a local guides community and not a typical social networking site. But I still agree with you. I understand that posting photos in the internet is always user's discretion. And it seems like other members of this group do not care if their photos are downloaded by other people. 

@CorrieD wrote:

@JedR Thanks for sharing this feedback. I would love to hear what other members of the community think about this feature. A user could always screen capture the image if they really wanted it even if we removed the download function. Many photographers use a small watermark and/or don't upload high resolution versions of their work if they are worried about image theft on the internet in general. 

Level 9

@PaulPavlinovich Correct me if I'm wrong..

I believe that a photo from google maps cannot be downloaded if it is uploaded using the google maps contributions. 

But if a photo is uploaded through other websites like looloo.com then a user can download it by clicking the "View original image" button on the bottom of the displayed photo. 

Here's an example:

https://www.google.com.ph/maps/place/Wangfu/@14.549841,121.054007,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1shtt...

From the link I provided, you can see different examples of uploaded photos. You can see my name there, notice that my photo do not have a "View original image" button. A user can still have a way to download or copy it but at least there is no direct feature that encourage to download it easily. 

PS. view it using desktop browser

@PaulP wrote:

Note you can also download them from Google Maps.

Regards

Paul

Level 9

HI @Pea,

For your information, the photo above is posted here in Local Guides Community not in the Google Maps. It's different. 

You can view it in Travel and Advice Discussion and also the rules are posted here --> click. Everyone is allowed to post their photos.

Here is one of the rules:

"3) Share pictures of the city or country you want to showcase
- Pictures will always get more eyeballs than text only.

- Remember to only share pictures that you have taken yourself, post only royalty-free images or give credit to the person or organization who is responsible for any image you use from the internet

Finally, before you post to this board, we recommend you to search the community. Chances are someone else has shared a similar topic or query. It makes it easier on everyone if we unify conversations and avoid duplicates. For overall guidelines on how to post in this community, please refer to this post to get more information." - YanniY

PhilipF wrote: 

@JEd LesterR wrote:

Other user might use each of our photos to their web contents/blogs/etc 

If you post a photo which is clearly of a specific business, it's perhaps less likely someone will want to use it elsewhere. I think there maybe an issue with photos that are rather more artistic in nature. Regarding the photo above, I think we need to ask the question that is always important when posting photos on Maps: Does this help the map user understand what this place looks like? If not then it probably shouldn't be on the map.

Level 9
Level 9

My apologies, I thought you were making a wider comment about Local Guides posting photos both on Maps, as well as on the forum, since you'd used a similar photo on Maps https://goo.gl/maps/8F7miXySwEK2  It's a really great shot, very creative though I'm not sure if it helps understand this business location. Technically 'Images must accurately represent the location where they were taken', this is you I guess in the ocean somewhere near the business?

Level 7

The added bonus of uploading low resolution images is that it is friendlier for people viewing on phones (because phones tend to have slower connection speeds, higher data costs etc.).

Level 9

@Pea well you better read the review first before judging the photo. It is related to my review. I agree with you, technically speaking every image uploaded in google maps should represent the location.  But did you consider reading the content of the review first? By the way, it seems like you're in the wrong discussion if you're keep on telling about the uploading rules in GOOGLE MAPS. FYI, the topic here is the download button in Local guides community.