cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[Feature Request] Normal user should not be allowed to edit historical places

Issue: Historical places can be edited by normal users

Details:
Some people are taking advantage of editing the map to express their protest. I just don't want google maps to be vandalized by protesters because it's inappropriate. I posted same concern in local guides community. Here is the link: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Level-4/People-uses-the-google-maps-in-protesting-some-politic...

Suggestion:
Google maps should follow a proper usage of different user levels and restrictions. Normal users like me should not be allowed to edit a special or historical places like our National Heroes' Monument or The White House of your country USA (https://goo.gl/gM3xhE).

This is a big help to maintain the accuracy of data. Let's make all places accurately tagged in the maps.

Manila, NCR, Philippines
5 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: [Feature Request] Normal user should not be allowed to edit historical places

@JedR @AbdullahAM @Csaba 

While we have many systems and processes in place to prevent bad edits from being made (like the "protest" edits you mention), our systems don't always get it right. We have to carefully balance the ability for people to make edits and to prevent bad edits. What really hurts us is when Local Guides join in this behavior as it casts doubt on the trust we want to give our Local Guides. We have had instances where trusted, high-level Local Guides commit these bad map edits and we have to remove them from the program and sometimes even remove their ability to contribute to Maps. While most people and most Local Guides are wonderful and have good intentions, a few people can always take advantage of a situation. 

We are always looking to improve the system though. Expect to see many changes over 2017 and know there are even more happening behind the scenes. When you see malicious/spam/protest edits, please flag them in Google Maps, deny them, or it really bad cases let us know here. We really appreciate your help keeping the Map spam-free for everyone 🙂 

View solution in original post

Level 10

Re: [Feature Request] Normal user should not be allowed to edit historical places

Hi @JedR

There is already a feature on maps that some places are "locked" for normal user editing. Such a place in my town is the cathedral for instance: 

https://goo.gl/maps/JKwtMyMn3f22

I am not sure who decides to lock a place and how the process works but I can imagine that "important" places that are abused a lot (or where lots of wrong edits happen) get locked this way.

Level 9

Hi @JedR

Thank you for highlight an important issue. I think your idea is absolutely right but I think google may fix all the correct data or information about that places first and then they can lock it for a certain level of Local Guides. 

I saw many historical places in my country edited by new users with some wrong information even sometimes they mark it permanently closed the place aswell. 

Level 9

Yes. I agree! 

Level 9

Hi @Corrie,

What can you say about this? May I know if LGC team already have a solution to prevent spams or incorrect edits?

Former Google Contributor
Solution

@JedR @AbdullahAM @Csaba 

While we have many systems and processes in place to prevent bad edits from being made (like the "protest" edits you mention), our systems don't always get it right. We have to carefully balance the ability for people to make edits and to prevent bad edits. What really hurts us is when Local Guides join in this behavior as it casts doubt on the trust we want to give our Local Guides. We have had instances where trusted, high-level Local Guides commit these bad map edits and we have to remove them from the program and sometimes even remove their ability to contribute to Maps. While most people and most Local Guides are wonderful and have good intentions, a few people can always take advantage of a situation. 

We are always looking to improve the system though. Expect to see many changes over 2017 and know there are even more happening behind the scenes. When you see malicious/spam/protest edits, please flag them in Google Maps, deny them, or it really bad cases let us know here. We really appreciate your help keeping the Map spam-free for everyone 🙂