WetCoastCanuck's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Feature Request: Ability to add names in different languages in Google Maps (Parity with MapMaker)

Problem: Currently most people use Google Maps for editing data information. For locations and businesses with names in different languages, it becomes problematic for moderators and editors as the names get long basically the same information repeating in different languages. For the Google Map end users, It clutters up users' screens even if the user might not speak the language.

Example: This location of this restaurant: https://goo.gl/Bkys1c It has a Korean name and an English name. However currently it is repeated as the name is in both English and Korean as 1 entry.

The ideal way of editing a multilingual name is to do it is via MapMaker and enter the names with the appropriate language and categories like below (which I edited in this example).

Screenshot 2016-08-01 at 8.41.18 PM.png

However in Google Maps there is no options like that: Users appends different names to one line (can be prepend or append). You also get people adding brackets etc. Basically people are adding names inconsistently. Second picture is a car rental place with name in Chinese appended. I think right now it is a bit of a free for all.

Screenshot 2016-08-01 at 8.38.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2016-08-01 at 8.57.38 PM.png

Solution: Add the name categories and type categories that already exists in Map Maker to Google Maps. Google can also make certain subsection of the users use this functionality depending on the User lcation and language presets. If the user indicates they only speak English in their Account Preferences, then there is no need for other language input  or display for example.

That will improve data quality.

GC

6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Googler
Solution

Re: Feature Request: Ability to add names in different languages in Google Maps (Parity with MapMake

Thanks for sharing the feedback which we've shared with the Google Maps team. 🙂 Keep it coming here and also use the feedback feature in the Google Maps app or on desktop. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.

View solution in original post

Level 8

Re: Feature Request: Ability to add different language names via Google Maps (i.e. Parity with MapMa

@WetCoastCanuck,

Having that capability in Maps will solve us lots of headache.

Sampson

Level 10

Re: Feature Request: Ability to add names in different languages in Google Maps (Parity with MapMake

Good idea! I'm with you 🙂

Googler
Solution

Thanks for sharing the feedback which we've shared with the Google Maps team. 🙂 Keep it coming here and also use the feedback feature in the Google Maps app or on desktop. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

This is NOT a solution!

This happen for a long time after you guys shut down the Map Maker!  Both English and Chinese (Tradiitional) are official languages in Hong Kong, many passion editor tried to make Google Map better, but we just don't have the right tools!

This is frustrating...

Deep visit of Hong Kong series: Visit Hong Kong 101 | Cha Chaan Teng 茶餐廳 | Cart noodle 車仔麪

Fine me on Instagram: brett.to.go
Level 10

Even mapers who often travels between two (or more) countries with different languages

Level 10