Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Extra sorting options for photo contributions

Caption: The additional sorting options in Green.Caption: The additional sorting options in Green.

Recently on Android devices, the ability to sort photos by date and most viewed were implemented. This feature was only available on the desktop version of Google Maps, so once I saw this feature I was ecstatic. 

One of the feature requests I would appreciate is the implementation of three further sorting categories. Since the options are simply data being sorted, it should be easy to code this feature in, but as to the reasons why I'm requesting this feature? Here's why:

• Least Viewed
    A strange feature to ask for. Why would you want to view your pictures that don't have much views/popularity? Well, this can assist the user in gauging two different things. The first one is to find photos that never went public as these photos tend to have single or double-digit views only. Each user has a whole percentile of photos that were never approved by Google's AI approval process onto a listing and this feature can help identify those uploads. The other reason (apart from viewing photos just uploaded) is to do a bit of recon work and to gauge the poor-performing photos in comparison to the popular photos. This may not help smaller businesses in any way, but this might be interesting for some evaluation.
  • Pending
    During the uploading process, sometimes photos may take a few days in a vetting or automated moderation process to determine whether the photo should be made public or rejected. Photos that are currently in the approval queue would be displayed here. Alternatively, this can also be an option where rejected/unmoderated photos can be easily deleted from one's uploads.
  • Oldest
    Some people have a soft spot for their first ever photos they've uploaded on Google Maps, doing a little trip down memory lane and either feeling a little embarrassed by a past self's old contributions or lamenting the way they took pictures (I know I do!)

The main purpose of these features is personally for me to ensure all my uploads are up to date, being useful and ensuring that they have successfully attached to the POI, both accruing views and benefiting the business. I hope you might take this idea and consider it well.

EDITED: Typo and Grammar Correction.

11 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Extra sorting options for photo contributions

It would also be nice to get a clear definition of what exactly counts as a view. But as in a comment to a previous post a Google Moderator (not a Connect Moderator) told me they have no real clue themselves, I'm not really hopeful of ever getting a conclusive answer. Your own views of your own uploads count as views, that is for sure.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 5

@JanVanHaver wrote:

It would also be nice to get a clear definition of what exactly counts as a view. But as in a comment to a previous post a Google Moderator (not a Connect Moderator) told me they have no real clue themselves, I'm not really hopeful of ever getting a conclusive answer. Your own views of your own uploads count as views, that is for sure.

@JanVanHaver please clarify your last statement. How you can be sure?

Level 8

@LuisRG

We need more sorting capabilities for the PHOTOS tab. Right now we have "Newest" and "Most Viewed" and that is great 🎈

We also need "Alphabetically"  AZ - ZA 

and a Search by "Business Name".

I also wish for the "Least Viewed" and the "Pending"

Presently it simply is too cumbersome to update and the Photos of a review. 

Please 🧚‍♀️

Connect Moderator

@Dontcry43 I'm sure because that Google moderator told me so, when I asked him why a picture I uploaded fot a newly created POI already had views even though the new POI still had status 'Pending'.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

@JanVanHaver, usually after I upload a photo, when I first look at it the instant it appears on my Google Maps contributions, it already has two views. I tend to make the assumption that the AI determining whether the photo goes public or not constitutes the first, and then subsequently every 12 hours I flick through my contributions while logged in, it adds my own.

Level 5

@JanVanHaver wrote:

@Dontcry43 I'm sure because that Google moderator told me so, when I asked him why a picture I uploaded fot a newly created POI already had views even though the new POI still had status 'Pending'.

If almighty Google Moderator tako kaže, nema razloga da se ne vjeruje. On sve zna i nema tu nikakve diskusije. Bas je dobro da imamo takvu pomoć. Nikakve dileme nema pritom. 

Connect Moderator

Hi @Briggs, at first I was also satisfied with the explanation 'those are your own views' as I sometimes scroll through the contributions (as we all do 😀) and the number of views were low single digit numbers.

But then I have now come across this one

Screenshot_20180630-183823.png

Check the one in the middle: the name still says 'Plaats bekijken' which is the Dutch phrase you get when the POI was not created yet, but it has a whopping 52 views. Now I can swear: I did not check my contributed photos 52 times since uploading this one, less than 2 weeks ago. 

So what are those views: Google employees? Bots?

Level 10

@JanVanHaver, I found the statue near Utretcht University, but I couldn't find the photo, even with a placeholder search function as well as navigating in full zoom near the area. That way photos that aren't attached to an actual listing but resemble the appearance of the area while still public and rather attached to a coordinate. It's strange however it gotten that much views.

If there's Plaats bejikjen, is that a listing? It may have temporarily been online on Google Maps and then removed/taken down/made hidden. Another hidden mechanic of Google Maps eh?

Connect Moderator

You're amazing @Briggs, to have found it based on only the info in the picture! The exact coordinates are indeed 52,1158102, 5,0965068.

'Plaats bekijken' means 'Look at place'. It is the label that is shown in my contributions when the POI for the picture I uploaded is Pending.