Bhavin32's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Error in Translation

Hello, I have recently encountered many questions that are regarding translation of the names from English language to the regional language.Most of it seems to be automatically translated from English to the regional language along with the literal translation of the words.

For example there is a store named 'Deep store'. Here it does not  mean deep as in English language ( This well is Deep) but it is just a name which doesn't need literal translation from English to regional language. It is supposed to be translated as it is without the literal meaning. I have encountered many such cases all over the map and I am hereby posting some of the screenshots.

Here Investment does not mean GuntavnukHere Investment does not mean Guntavnuk

Snacks does not only mean फराळ it can be Food alsoSnacks does not only mean फराळ it can be Food also

It would be better if Computer is translated as it is. संगणक is not the best choice for a computer.It would be better if Computer is translated as it is. संगणक is not the best choice for a computer.

Deep does not mean deep as in English lanuage. In this case it is a proper noun and  the above translation is incorrect . The correct name would be  ''दीप स्टोअर्स ''Deep does not mean deep as in English lanuage. In this case it is a proper noun and the above translation is incorrect . The correct name would be ''दीप स्टोअर्स ''

There is need to change the way program translates the names in regional language. I have observed the same problem for other regional languages too.

India
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Error in Translation

Hello @Bhavin32Thank you for your feedback. Please use the suggest an edit feature in Google Maps and report the incorrect translations. Please note that this will only work on points of interest and not for cities. Thank you so much!

Level 8

Already did wherever applicable. The problem is most of these are shown in the suggestions. 

The way it is programmed is incorrect. 

It won't work this way.

There needs to be a change in the way it is being executed. 

I am sure if it is applicable in 90% of the cases I came across then it's the same all over the map.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Bhavin32I’m sorry for your frustration with this issue, but it may takes time to be fixed. The best way to reach the Google Maps team is to submit “suggest an edit”, so it’s great that you have already done it. If you have any other concerns or issues, please feel free to share them with us on Connect or Google Maps Help Forum. Thank you so much.