JosephDewey's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Duplicate pictures uploaded when there's a slow or bad internet connection

I've noticed that when I have a slow internet connection, then uploading pictures sometimes happens in duplicate. I think what happens is that it uploads the picture, but didn't get a response from the server, so it tries again, and succeeds both times. So, I end up having to periodically review all of my photos in my photos tab, and manually delete out the duplicates.

It seems like it would be pretty easy, and not add too much processing, to add this logic:

• Is the picture the exact same number of MB as any other picture that the user uploaded for
  • If yes, do an exhaustive comparison, to see if the picture is really identical, or if it's just the same size
  • If it is a duplicate, reject it, or just don't add it.

This kind of logic would also cut down on spammers, which by the way, I'm confused why Google Maps allows users to re-upload the same photo up to a hundred times and not get flagged for review...but that's a subject for another post.

Here's a recent duplicate using the spotty internet connection in the LAX Airport, uploaded via my Pixel phone and the Google Maps Android App. And, I only submitted this picture once inside the Google Maps app.

Screenshot 2017-04-05 at 9.48.15 AM - Edited.png

4 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Duplicate pictures uploaded when there's a slow or bad internet connection

@JosephD wrote:

uploading pictures sometimes happens in duplicate

Were you seeing actual duplicates on the POI listing or only in your photos tab?

The listing you referred to, Book Soup https://goo.gl/maps/pgtBUoYc6Sp , doesn't show any photos from you, though an untitled photo is seen in your public profile https://goo.gl/maps/p5vnvY6ycfk

Level 10

@Pea , yes, actual duplicates. They also get page views independent of each other.

Level 9
Level 9

@JosephDewey wrote:

yes, actual duplicates. They also get page views independent of each other.

Are you referring to the Book Soup Bookstore, I linked to above?

Level 7

@JosephDewey very good point, thanks for raising! this happened to me as well multiple times. I also like your potential solution.