ScottS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Re: Display Name

Hi, Arielle.

We don't want to use a nickname for our whole Google account. We want our Google account with our chosen display name, and the possibility to use a nickname/alias ONLY for Google Maps Reviews, for privacy. It should be a separate option. 

Former Google Contributor

Hello @LilianA @ScottS @Beamer @Seger @KaiLo,

I hear you all and totally understand the need to keep these separate. I'll forward this feedback internally with my team.

Thank you.

Level 5

Thank you Arielle, hopefully this gets some traction now and Google understands the need for the reviewer's privacy to be maintained. Fingers crossed we get a solution soon.

Level 3

@Seger wrote:

If I use a nick or fictive name, this also shows up as sender on all the emails I send with gmail. Not professional.

Not really true, I would say. Let's see an example.

Imagine your real name is "Norbert N. Amebic", and you have registered a Google Account with a nickname "No Name"; by default, your emails show the following sender name & address:

No Name <noname [at] gmail.com>

But you can change the sender's name in Gmail settings (there's a help page, but it discusses a wider range of topics):

Settings > Accounts and Import > Send mail as: > edit info > Name: > (type in and select) "Norbert N. Amebic" > Save Changes

(obviously, it affects Gmail web interface only; if you use a standalone email client like MS Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, please look at their manuals).

Now your emails contain your real name along the address:

Norbert N. Amebic <noname [at] gmail.com>

But if the recipient uses Gmail too and types your address into the Gmail search box, they'll see your Google+ profile name alongside the email address:

No Name          noname [at] gmail.com

Anyway, yes, it doesn't look very professional, and doesn't resolve the visibility problem of your Google+ ID / account at all.

@ArielleM_, here are my various suggestions:

1. an option to create a Maps nickname (i.e., your nickname is used around Maps, instead of your Google profile name);
  2. an option to submit some Maps contributions "anonymously" (i.e., you must be a registered Google user, but your ID is visible to moderators only).
  • Perhaps there it'll need some sort of careful sanitizing of the added photos etc., to prevent linking to the actual Google+ ID of the user.
  • A "quick fix" idea for Google is to enable (currently disabled) use of Brand Accounts for Maps; it'd allow to create aliases easily, but the downside is that it's almost completely separate Google+ profile, so you'll end up with 2 separate Maps contributors (with different sets of contributions, levels etc.).
  • Anyway, IIRC, in Map Maker times, you were able to use a desirable Maps nickname profile and not forced to link a Google+ profile to Maps, so it's really looks a regression from a ~5-year-old functionality!

P.S. Sorry for a lengthy post, and let's hope for help from some wise product designers in Google 😉

Former Google Contributor

Hey @bobbib,

No worries on the length of the post, the detail is very necessary. I'll add this feedback to our internal loop. Supplementary to my forwarding this information along, I'd echo my suggestion to also submit your feedback via the Google Maps application itself. 

Still, keep the discussion alive! It only helps. As for expectations, I want to be transparent in saying that there will be no projected timeline for any feedback to be implemented - but that doesn't mean it won't be heard. Unfortunately, there's no real way to gauge that from my end. But again, I'll do all I can to help!

Thanks everyone. 

Level 8

at some point there must be a timeline, or a bloody good reason why Google is not picking up these little changes with great impact.

I work for the Dutch federal governement on billion dollar IT projects, and we don't even get away with less. You can do it!

Level 6
Level 6

On a related note, I would like it if I were able to disable other users listing all my reviews. It is really creepy how someone can see where someone lives, works, and where they've traveled. I don't want random internet people to track me like this.

Actually I think you should probably disable this feature entirely (or at least make it opt-in). Don't wait until a stalker uses this to commit a crime (and then you get sued over it)!

Level 8

Dear @eArmin

There is a provision in Google Street View app to transfer ownership of a picture to another user or GMB account. You can use this facility to get credit for your photos. Simply create a new account for your new professional agency and transfer rights of all your photos to it.

But there is no way to transfer the reviwes you have done to the new account.

Hope this helps.  

Trivandrum Local Guide | Google Maps Street View Trusted Photographer | Google Cloud Referral Partner | Google Map Maker since 2008
Level 3

I'm a bit confused.  I logged into the community and it asks for a username.  I updated it, but my username still shows my **####** name as per my google account.  So, I'm assuming this feature is only for the Local Guides connect community.   So Google understands the needs for this, just please implement on the Google Maps Reviews area.  I will be removing my reviews I have done to date and won't be posting any future ones until this is done, as I don't want my **####** name publised to the world.  Or if you can tell me how this was implemented and how I can change this for my account.

Thank you.

Level 7

I live in a small city yesterday I published a review about a restaurant an hour ago the manager of the restaurant called me asking about my reviews. We need a solution.