Shirley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Discussions by Location on Connect Home Page

Sometimes it is difficult to keep track of posts in your home city and I tend to rely on the discussions that are tagged by location.

Upon logging in, I am seeing discussions for both Vancouver, BC, Canada and Vancouver, Washington, USA (See screenshot below).

lgc location.png

I can confirm that my location set on my LG home page is Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Perhaps a bug given the same city name? @JeslynL thanks 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
9 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Discussions by Location on Connect Home Page

Hey @Shirley, unfortunately this is a design limitation. At this time, we are expecting search results to include partial matches, like the location errors you are experiencing. This is something we hope to change in the near future. 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

View solution in original post

Hello @Shirley. Could you toggle between "My Location" and "All Locations" a few times to see if you are still seeing the same? 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 9

@JeslynL: Yes, I have toggled between all locations and my location and still the same.

In Chrome, I've also cleared cache and tried incognito as well.  I tried a second browser (Internet Explorer) and still the same issue.  

I loaded in Chrome on my Nexus 5X, same issue as well.

Thanks for looking into it! 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 8

Update:  Photo Link fixed.

I also noticed during the past two weeks, the feed is not including the correct posts.

For this post dated between the first and second post in the screen shot.  But it is not appearing.large.png

Thanks for the details, @Shirley. I'll take this to Lithium. Updates available as soon as we can, as usual! 🙂

EDIT: @YK1001, your image is not showing up for me. Could you try inserting it again? Thanks!

Level 8

Screenshot link fixed.

I am sorry for the mistake , @JeslynL

Solution

Hey @Shirley, unfortunately this is a design limitation. At this time, we are expecting search results to include partial matches, like the location errors you are experiencing. This is something we hope to change in the near future. 

Level 9

Hey @JeslynL: thanks for getting back to me about this.  Hopefully it can be changed it the future.  Lots of cities with similar names! 

Level 8

Hello, 

Thank you @JeslynL for your reply to this feed as I'm a new user and was wondering the same thing.  I live in Rochester, NY, USA and everything is set correctly, but I was concerned because it is showing me information for Rochester, England (UK) and Rochester, Michigan, USA.  Do you know if guides have started using a hashtag for their locations to be properly tagged or using the mentions system for that?  I also do edits in Waze and in our communities I know to work with this limitation we started a new system where we were able to utilize the mentions system to include a bot that would process keywords and such so if you set your area with a keyword as say Rochester, NY, USA it would only notify you for those or display those on the main front.  Definitely worth looking into something like that if it hasn't been discussed yet.  Just an idea 🙂  Thanks again for your work as a moderator.  I'm sure it isn't always easy but know it is always appreciated!  

- Ian S. 

Idrive66

Ian S.
(Idrive66)
Rochester & Upstate New York

Hey @idrive66, I'll bullet my response to address the various points you mentioned, hope you don't mind it! 

1. Hashtags

Essentially, hashtags in posts on Connect do not translate into a trackable hashtag when the post is published. Instead, available here is message tagging.

2. Message tag

On Connect, message tags work the same way as a hashtag would. Message tags can be found at the bottom of each post, and you can add message tags in the "Message Tags" field when writing your post, OR add tags to others' posts by clicking "Add Tag". Message tags are entirely optional, and some community members do use this feature. 

3. Subscription to keywords

Currently, community members are able to subscribe to discussion threads but not keywords or location. This is a feedback that I will pass along to the team. You can explore further here.

Thanks for taking time to write! The team welcomes feedback all the time and do know that I appreciate your kind words too. 🙂